D&D 5E What kind of character would you play?

Retreater

Legend
Is there a character you're itching to play, but can't? Maybe you don't have an active game. Maybe you're like me and always DMing (and never able to play, even though I'm running 4 campaigns). Maybe you're stuck with an established character that you'd rather leave behind for a bit.

I think I'd like a battle master fighter. Not be responsible for keeping up with spells or healing my allies. I like battle maneuvers, and I think it gives some flexibility to a fighter that I haven't been able to play. (I think my last fighter was 2nd edition.)

I could see him being a folk hero who once led the local militia to a minor victory, and now he fancies himself a battlefield commander - even though he's kind of a local yokel. Maybe he wields a farm implement weapon like a scythe or pitchfork?

Any class/race combinations you'd like to try out? Any interesting story concepts you would like to explore?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
A character I've thought of recently that I would like to try out is a half-orc barbarian/wizard. He dresses like a typical barbarian (if there is such a thing) but rather than the stereotypical dumb barbarian is actually quite intelligent and is able to surprise his foes with some magic. Sure he won't be able to cast or concentrate on spells while raging but just the thought of having a few spells as backup to his melee capability I think would be fun to have.

I'd probably have him speak like he's a little stupid to begin with "Krunk have axe, what if Krunk hit him with axe" and then turn around later in the game and say "Look, I know we are in a bit of a predicament, but I happen to have just the right spell to get us out of here."

I

Immortal Sun

It's funny in light of the upcoming adventure....but I REALLY want to play a Swashbuckler. Not necessarily the class, but like Errol Flynn or Zorro type stuff. I've tried it before, and those games have always seemed to crash early on.

Volund

Explorer
UA Ranger, Gloomstalker. Would like to play this character in a 5e conversion of an old school dungeon delve like ToEE. Biding my time until I finish my current stint as DM (we rotate the DM chair twice a year).

Unwise

Adventurer
[MENTION=47770]immortal[/MENTION] son, I highly recommend the Dex-based Battlemaster for such characters. With Riposte, Parry and Disarm fights felt like a real Swashbuckling affair. I only got to play a little at higher levels, but I put 3 levels into Rogue-Thief and made good use of my Cunning Action to pull rugs out from under people, swing on chandeliers, slide down ballistrades etc. My GM had a liberal view of what constituted the Use Item action.

My favourite character that I really want to play more is an Orcish/Tiefling Psychiatrist. He was brought up as an experiment in Nature v Nurture by an eminent psychiatrist. He was experimented on a lot. He is now a doctor himself. He wears a suit and acts like a proper Victorian-era gentleman. He is also a dangerous psychopath who will murder anybody and everything given half a chance. Well, sometimes. He pushes all of his base instincts down, but has to let them out sometimes, or else he goes mad. He has developed potions to regulate his moods. As such he is basically Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde.

Strangely he is a Moon Druid by class. His Shapeshift is when he takes on his Bestial form and gives into that aspect. His "spells" are really just potions he has made. Goodberry is a syringe of healing potion etc. He has a lot of calming and healing style spells. I only choose appropriate spells.

ccs

41st lv DM
I have an idea for a human (maybe 1/2 elf?) dragon-blooded sorcerer (maybe with a dip of warlock?) that's really just waiting for a campaign to be played in.

The PC is a loyal & dedicated member of the Cult of the Dragon who's willingly accepted being infused with what the cult leader believes to be the essence of one of the 1st five chromatic dragons. Their glorious mission is to serve as a living host until at lv 20 they'll be consumed & the ancient wyrm ____ will be reborn....
Is it true? Will it work? (shrugs)
They're adventuring because as the dragon spirit grows it becomes restless & greedy. The host is driven to destruction/carnage & needs to accumulate a hoard.

Unfortunately I had this idea about a month into our current game & switching characters at this point, to this character, doesn't make any sense storywise. But! That's only given me time to think further on the character. :)
So....

Prior to their debut as a PC I think I'm going to run a few one-shot adventures that'll tell their backstory.
So much more entertaining to SHOW the other players my characters backstory interactively than just telling them about it.
3 one-shots worked into the campaign I'm running as chapter breaks & then the next time I need a new character as a player use my sorcerer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have several. My (current) favorite is the one I’m least likely to ever get to play, because it has so many specific requirements. First of all, it’s part of a pair of characters my partner and I developed jointly. So, we’d have to not only find a game someone else was DMing, but also one with at least two open player slots. They’re also gnolls, so the DM would have to be cool with PC gnolls (and by extension, 3rd party or houseruled races).

The idea is, my partner’s character would be deaf - another barrier to playing these characters, since the DM would have to be ok with that communication barrier. He would be able to speak if he needed to, but would prefer not to because it’s difficult for him and he’s self-conscious about his pronunciation. He would also probably be able to lip read to a certain extent, but not with perfect clarity. Our characters would both speak sign language (so the DM would have to be ok with us taking that as a language), and mine would interpret for theirs most of the time, and since she’s a bitch and thoroughly enjoys bullying him, she would often intentionally change the message (so the DM would need to be cool with that.) We’d be perfectly comfortable with the actual message being public information out of character, of course, but our characters would be playfully antagonistic towards each other... well, mine would be towards theirs, at least... so the DM would need to be ok with a certain amount of consensual, friendly inter-party conflict. Also they’re a couple and I’ve met a few DMs who don’t like inter-party romantic entanglements, even when nothing explicit is played out at the table, so there’s that.

Yeah, we’ve pretty much resigned ourselves to never getting to play these characters.

Oh, and theirs is a caster. so we’d have to work with the DM to figure out how spells with verbal components would work - again, he can speak, but if pronunciation of verbal is important in the DM’s world, it could be a problem.

sim-h

Explorer
I only ever DM but my current character concept I'd play is a half-orc paladin of Kelemvor, who also makes a Pact with an Undying patron to further gain insight into his obsessive mission to rid the world of foul undead. Progression would be P1, P2, Wa1, Wa2, P3, P4, P5, ??

CTurbo

Explorer
Really been itching to play an Aarakocra Monk or Barbarian.

Also been wanting to play a super stealthy Gloom Stalker maybe multiclassed into Shadow Monk or Rogue.

and finally I want to play a Conquest Paladin eventually

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
There are a lot of character concepts I'd love to try in 5e that I haven't yet gotten to play.
The top five are currently:

Goliath Wolf Totem Barbarian or Battle Master Fighter
I've this idea in my head of an Aeneas-type figure who believes that his people are destined to conquer the continent in the future, and that he must go out into the world to find the prophesied location where the capital city is to be built . . .

Lightfoot Halfling Valor Bard
3 foot tall heavy metal musician . . . Who uses a battle ax as an "air guitar"

Hill Dwarf Forge or Light Cleric
Raised in captivity by Fire Giants until a dwarven kingdom liberated him and his family.
He worships Surtur, yet believes that he must recover lost magic armor and weapons for the dwarves, so that his people stand a chance against the giant hordes come the judgement day of Ragnarok.

Ghostwise Halfling Druid
Think mowgli with spellcasting . . .

High Elf Necromancer Wizard
In the unlikely event I ever get to play in an Eberron campaign.

Remove ads