What kind of Server are you building for NWN?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Post your specs here on what type of server you are building and how many people you plan on hosting on it. To reference a thread that might show you want is good and what isn't is right here:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=42382&forum=7&sp=30

My server is:

P3/600
512mb RAM
dual 9.1 SCSI2 drives striped
Linux Red Hat 7.2 stripped down
Max Players 16-24 if i am lucky.

Video card I don't care about as i won't be playing any games on it, it's a server folks, what do i care how pretty it looks!

If i host bigger games i will double the RAM and drop in U160 drives, but it looks like i will have to get a faster cpu for it as the game is VVEEERRRRYYYY CPU concious.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I just ordered a new PC to play NWN. Unfortunately, unless they get DSL out here where I live, no one is going to play on my shaky 28.8k line.

But, the PC I ordered is this:
AMD XP 1800 (1.53 ghz)
512mb DDR RAM
7200 rpm 40 gigabyte hard drive
GEForce 64mb video card.

As for a server, I actually have 3 Pentium computers in my closet, not counting the Celeron 300 I currently have. I could conceivably build a Linux Beowulf cluster out of all of them, and that would make one serious system.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
die_kluge said:

As for a server, I actually have 3 Pentium computers in my closet, not counting the Celeron 300 I currently have. I could conceivably build a Linux Beowulf cluster out of all of them, and that would make one serious system.

can't cluster it and run the server..it won't work like that from what i see. Drop it on the p3 and youll be set, the kicker here is ram and cpu speed!

toberane

First Post
Do you guys plan on hosting persistent games (server is running 24 hours/day, people connect when they want to, MUD-style) or scheduled games ("NWN, my server, Friday nite 8:30! WooHoo!")?

As of now, I plan on just hosting games on a scheduled basis, since I don't have a decent computer to dedicate as a server right now...

However, I hope that with an Athlon XP 1800, GeForce4 64mb, and 256 RAM, I'll be able to host as many people as necessary.

Psionicist

Explorer
Leopold said:
Post your specs here on what type of server you are building and how many people you plan on hosting on it. To reference a thread that might show you want is good and what isn't is right here:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=42382&forum=7&sp=30

My server is:

P3/600
512mb RAM
dual 9.1 SCSI2 drives striped
Linux Red Hat 7.2 stripped down
Max Players 16-24 if i am lucky.

Video card I don't care about as i won't be playing any games on it, it's a server folks, what do i care how pretty it looks!

If i host bigger games i will double the RAM and drop in U160 drives, but it looks like i will have to get a faster cpu for it as the game is VVEEERRRRYYYY CPU concious.

Hmm... Isn't it good damn expansive with a SCSI RAID card and two U160 drives? Say around $700+ for a decent card and drives?

Lazybones

Adventurer
The way I see it (and I could be wrong), the "persistent world" thing would be a LOT more work, since you'd have to do all the scripting, conversations, etc. to work without the guiding hand of a DM. Since even one conversation with an NPC would require a lot of work to set up, setting up a small village with, say, 20 NPCs will be a major undertaking. That's why I think the DM-run games will be a lot easier and a lot more common than the canned scenarios.

Personally, I think I'll try to set up a regular gaming group of 5-6 players that I'll probably recruit here on ENWorld (I was thinking about giving my story hour readers 1st crack at it :D). Probably will be a while after I get the game since I'll want to run through the SP campaign and master the DM client first. Maybe as a test I'll design a few standard scenarios and run them through the public game-finder that's going to ship with the game.

My current system is a P4 1.8gHz w/DSL, so I don't anticipate any hardware problems.

Ziggy

First Post
Lazybones said:

Personally, I think I'll try to set up a regular gaming group of 5-6 players that I'll probably recruit here on ENWorld (I was thinking about giving my story hour readers 1st crack at it :D).

I'm game :)

Of course the time difference will probably make it impossible, but still .....

.Ziggy

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Re: Re: What kind of Server are you building for NWN?

Psionicist said:

Hmm... Isn't it good damn expansive with a SCSI RAID card and two U160 drives? Say around $700+ for a decent card and drives?

The hard drives cost me $100 for both of them, ebay. The motherboard has onboard scsi and it cost me $200 last year. RAID is done in the software since I don't have the cash for a SCSI RAID card.

Old parts i have lying around if the server gets overloaded.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Lazybones said:
Personally, I think I'll try to set up a regular gaming group of 5-6 players that I'll probably recruit here on ENWorld (I was thinking about giving my story hour readers 1st crack at it :D). Probably will be a while after I get the game since I'll want to run through the SP campaign and master the DM client first. Maybe as a test I'll design a few standard scenarios and run them through the public game-finder that's going to ship with the game.

My current system is a P4 1.8gHz w/DSL, so I don't anticipate any hardware problems.

Lazybones! I want to play in your game! I want! I want! :)

Remove ads