D&D 5E What kind of subraces should tieflings have?

Shadeydm

First Post
My favorite is the rakshasa tieflings. :)

Never heard of it but it sounds really cool! I think I'd want another name for it besides tiefling though. Then again I'd probably want to call the demonic version a cambion so it's probably just me. Still I'm already thinking of some cool character concepts for a human with a rakshasa ancestor if my Eberron fighter ever bites the dust!

Mattachine

Adventurer
In game terms, "cambion" has always been one human parent and one demon parent (or two cambion parents, perhaps).

Tieflings simply have tainted blood, not a full fiend as mom or dad.

Shadeydm

First Post
In game terms, "cambion" has always been one human parent and one demon parent (or two cambion parents, perhaps).

Tieflings simply have tainted blood, not a full fiend as mom or dad.

Very true, oddly enough I have seen some cambions look a lot more human than tieflings, go figure.

Raith5

Adventurer
There should be an option for a tiefling 'race,' like the 4e concept of "some guys a long time ago made a pact, and now their empire has collapsed, and all the descendants are tieflings."

Then the other subrace is the 'randomly influenced by planar magic' tiefling. Your mom wasn't a tiefling, and you're lucky you weren't killed at birth.

I love the tiefling story. I think there is a big difference between that race and the random plane touched story. I dont see why a shadow plane touched person would be called a tiefling.

I think the only subraces for tieflings should be on lineage (ie by class or caste).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Never heard of it but it sounds really cool! I think I'd want another name for it besides tiefling though. Then again I'd probably want to call the demonic version a cambion so it's probably just me. Still I'm already thinking of some cool character concepts for a human with a rakshasa ancestor if my Eberron fighter ever bites the dust!

What's cool about the Pathfinder version is that all the subraces have a name. So you don't have to use the term "tiefling" if you don't want.

aco175

Legend
Could Tiefling be just a sub race of humans, heck Asimar and plane touched could be as well. It would limit the races, but give more sub races to humans. They never want to make humans have a sub race and offend anyone, which I cannot blame them for not wanting a boycot or worse.

Grimmjow

First Post
Could Tiefling be just a sub race of humans, heck Asimar and plane touched could be as well. It would limit the races, but give more sub races to humans. They never want to make humans have a sub race and offend anyone, which I cannot blame them for not wanting a boycot or worse.

nah, humans can have different sub races im all for that, but not like that.

mlund

First Post
Well, since the play-test has been giving us binary choices of sub-races at the moment let's continue the tradition (with tongues planted firmly in our cheeks)

Tiefling Weapon Talent: Knives, Whips, Spiked Chains
Senses: Low-Light Vision
Contrary: Tieflings have Advantage on all saving throws or contest rolls to resist being influenced to do anything.

Angsty Tiefling
+1 Con, Angsty Tieflings have resist 5 vs. Slashing Damage
Whinging: Twice per day, after an enemy damages Angsty Tiefling: All characters and monsters have Disadvantage on all checks, saving throws, and attack rolls while adjacent to Angsty Tiefling until the end of its next turn.

Melodramatic Tiefling
+1 Cha, Melodramatic Tieflings have resist 5 vs. Piercing Damage
Overly Dramatic Flesh Wounds: Melodramatic Tieflings have a +1 bonus to each die rolled for healing effects on them, including use of their Hit Dice.

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

Kinak

First Post
Tieflings are a little tough. If there's room, I'd like to see around four subraces for them:

• Blood Pact - 4e Tieflings
  • Tainted Blood - Mixed blood (2e) and/or mysterious origins
  • Demon Blood - Related to demons, however they work in 5
  • Devil Blood - Related to devils, however they work in 5
That assumes that Demons and Devils will both be in the first MM. Then, as more fiend types are added, more tiefling subraces can be added to keep up.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads