What levelling up rules do you use?

Which rules to you use for levelling up?

• RAW: Cap XP at threshold until receive training

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Lose excess XP but level automatically

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't lose excess XP but require training

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Just auto-level up like newer editions

Votes: 16 59.3%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Answering for AD&D 2nd, not sure if that's useful.

You didn't get level until you trained, but XP wasn't capped until 1 point before the next level. So you didn't lose it. Since it took a year of play to level that wasn't a big deal.

DM came up with additional houserules in case you are interested. You needed a trainer at least 1 (2?) levels higher until name level. After that you could train yourself at double the time if you couldn't find a trainer. Oh, and no idea if we used the standard time or not, I think we used 1d4 weeks per level which would be brutal except we all had a lot of downtime activities to do, like spell research and building castles.

ccs

41st lv DM
You're poll lack "Other" as an option. I have to vote "Other".

1e games I've run & played in have varied from strict RAW on this subject to more variations than I can recall.

One of my favorite variants was (is?):
When you have enough XP to lv, make an Intelligence check. (remember, stat checks were roll = or under your score) If you passed? Then you didn't need to seek training from another & lvd up. If you still had enough XP to qualify for additional lvs? Then repeat the Int check. Pass, gain another lv.
Fail? Then you stop advancing & gain no more XP until you got that outside training as per the book. Once that training time passed, make another Int check. Pass & advance your lv and resume earning XP. Fail? Spend the gold/time again & repeat the course.....
I think the most lvs I ever saw someone get this way all at once was 4. It was a 1st lv character who'd joined a party whose average lv was 8.
But generally the possibility of gaining multiple lvs only came into play at low lvs or if you were already really close to hitting another lv.

Once you hit "name lv" you just auto-lvd when you had enough pts.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Answering for AD&D 2nd, not sure if that's useful.

You didn't get level until you trained, but XP wasn't capped until 1 point before the next level. So you didn't lose it. Since it took a year of play to level that wasn't a big deal.
For modified 1e here:

We don't cap them, but if you don't get training your advancement starts steadily slowing down until you do:
- after the 1/3 point through the new (untrained) level you start losing 1/3 of any xp gained (but get the other 2/3) - this happens somewhat regularly but not all the time
- after the 2/3 point through the new level you start losing 2/3 of any xp gained (but get the other 1/3) - this is quite uncommon
- if you somehow grind your way all the way through the new level you are considered trained for it and advance at 1/2 rate from then on into the next (now new) level (this is very rare - only happened twice in 35 years I can think of)
- in any case, advancement returns to normal once you train.

DM came up with additional houserules in case you are interested. You needed a trainer at least 1 (2?) levels higher until name level. After that you could train yourself at double the time if you couldn't find a trainer. Oh, and no idea if we used the standard time or not, I think we used 1d4 weeks per level which would be brutal except we all had a lot of downtime activities to do, like spell research and building castles.
We have it that your trainer has to be at least one level above what you are training into e.g. to train into 5th you need a 6th trainer. At or near "name" level you can self-train. There are always costs involved, usually about 1000 g.p. per level bring trained into (so, 5000-ish to train to 5th), except if you're "in penalty" (i.e. you've gone far enough into the new level that your xp are slowing down as noted above) the costs are reduced as you've already learned some of it on the fly. We aren't as harsh on the time, it usually takes about 7-10 days to train once you can find a trainer and get stuck in.

Lan-"the other exception is if you're picking up a whole new class, which takes months to even get started"-efan

Last edited:

dagger

Adventurer
Here is how we have done it since 1994 (have been a few exceptions), not sure what option to use in your poll, maybe the 4th?

1) All monster, magic item, and treasure XP goes into a pot that is divided evenly. This prevents issues and keeps things fair.
2) No excess XP is lost. So if the thief gets enough to jump two levels early on, so be it. He/she needs it...:)
3) You can level up in any location, but it requires a full nights sleep.
4) No training per the DMG is required, unless you are human and are going to DUAL CLASS. This also applies to the bard, but does not apply if you are running the 2e version. We let players run 2e classes sometimes.

Thats it...

Level Limits:

We have always used them, but we use the limits out of Unearthed Arcana. After that you can still level, its just double the XP.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We used to play with a lot of the level-up and training rules intact back when we played 1e. It forced some pretty tough decisions on the group - whether to stop and head off for training or whether to keep going. It significantly affected how fast characters leveled up and how much wealth was available to us. Eventually, we relaxed things a bit as far as training time, but still not costs and that still exerted a significant effect on how fast PCs leveled up because there were still times we didn't have the scratch to pay for the leveling costs.

Ultimately, 3e's unified XP table and lack of training time/cost simplified things a great deal.

blitzpackage

First Post
Characters earned Xps up until they reached the amount needed to achieve a second level then they were capped until they trained. 1st level thief could earn 3000 exp. Trained to level 2 then can earn up to the level 3 max.

pdzoch

Explorer
I used to require the training session -- players expended gold during the down time between adventures to level up. However, it became cumbersome in campaigns where levels are achieved in the middle of adventure and the setting did not logically allow for "trainers" to be readily available.

Now, they automatically level up, as per on the job training. Some features, like new spells, require availability and might not be part of the level advancement (ie. spells are automatically added between adventures, assuming the spellcaster made some sort of effort to obtain them during the down time; but would not be added deep in the bowels of the underdark unless they had access to a scroll or spellbook they were waiting to add to their list).

I tend to reserve training mission to special features/benefits of a class, like the Bard colleges or Druidic Circles, or to set up campaign NPCs.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
My favourite way to level up is the Incremental Increase from 13th Age and similarly the Session Advance from Low Fantasy Gaming. Basically, take one thing from your next level, and gain it between sessions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My favourite way to level up is the Incremental Increase from 13th Age and similarly the Session Advance from Low Fantasy Gaming. Basically, take one thing from your next level, and gain it between sessions.
Not familiar with this. Do the gains come between sessions of play without regard to the game environment or in-game time, or does the character have to rest to get the benefits?

Lanefan

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
Not familiar with this. Do the gains come between sessions of play without regard to the game environment or in-game time, or does the character have to rest to get the benefits?

Lanefan
Well for LFG there is a requirement that the PC meaningfully contributed to the session, but other than that, no need to train/rest to gain the benefits by default. Like all things LFG however, the rules are subject to the GM, and the advancement section includes a paragraph that some GMs might require training etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases