D&D 5E What lore update do you want from the Forgotten Realms?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If I were WotC, I'd consider much of the timeline to be a mistake. To that end, I'd run a storyline that reboots the FR back to the Grey Box.
I actually think they should keep the recent history and just release a setting book updated to reflect it, essentially the 3e FR book but acknowledging the shape of the world following the spell plague and the sundering. I know many people hated theb4e realms, but it did have some cool stuff in it, like the now air genasi Airspur and the arrival of the dragonborn.

Post SCAG the weird thing is the only source books that even mention parts of FR outside of the Swordcoast are the adventure anthologies.
Parts of FR outside the Sword Coast are mentioned in every 5e hardcover adventure path set in the Sword Coast—or at least almost every one. The only one I’m not sure about is Rime of the Frostmaiden. But maybe by “mention” you really mean “take place in”?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If I were WotC, I'd consider much of the timeline to be a mistake. To that end, I'd run a storyline that reboots the FR back to the Grey Box.
I think their best bet would be to get Ed Greenwood and some sensitivity and inclusion consultants to rewrite the setting in the mood of the original publication, but not be beholden to past canon.

It’s a reboot, might as well make sure our desert nomads aren’t an aggressively bad stereotype of SWANA peoples.

Li Shenron

Legend
Strong feeling is that modern WotC fervently wished that the Spellplague era had never been written, and just wish the whole issue would go away so they never talk about it much. And frankly, the Spellplague lore wrote realmlore into such an messy place that there's probably no plausible way to fix it. It looks to me like WotC has chosen to deal with by simply advancing the timeline, returning to something kinda-sorta similar to the status quo ante and never talking about details ever again.
Yeah, the Forgotten Realms pretty much jumped the shark for me with the Spellplague.

The best way IMO to play D&D in FR, is to use any of the campaign settings up to the 3.0 FRCS, and ignore anything after that point.

So perhaps, it is better to have no lore update at all anymore.

(I have the same opinion on pretty much all settings anyway... if a setting is successful, leave the lore as-is and just update the crunch at each new edition)

Horwath

Legend
Strong feeling is that modern WotC fervently wished that the Spellplague era had never been written, and just wish the whole issue would go away so they never talk about it much. And frankly, the Spellplague lore wrote realmlore into such an messy place that there's probably no plausible way to fix it. It looks to me like WotC has chosen to deal with by simply advancing the timeline, returning to something kinda-sorta similar to the status quo ante and never talking about details ever again.
The current year is 1370 DR and Spellplague WILL NOT happen.

Remove ads