D&D (2024) What Magic: the Gathering setting would you like to see next?

Which M:tG setting would you like to see next?

• Alara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amonkhet

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Capenna

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Ikoria

• Innistrad

• Ixalan

• Kaladesh

• Kaldheim

• Kamigawa

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Lorwyn-Shadowmoor

• Mercadia

• New Phyrexia

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Rabiah

• Tarkir

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Ulgrotha

• Zendikar

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Poll closed .

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know and in fact I fear we will see more MtG settings in D&D, but if it were up to me.... :)
Although I don't know if MtG's settings are among the best-selling manuals in 5E. Do you have any information on this?
According to Amazon rankings, the M:tG campaign settings fall in the middle:

Ravenloft: #1,715 in Books, #15 in Dungeons & Dragons
Eberron: #3,162 in Books, #21 in Dungeons & Dragons
Strixhaven: #6,821 in Books, #35 in Dungeons & Dragons
Theros: #8,255 in Books, #38 in Dungeons & Dragons
Ravnica: #10,978 in Books, #47 in Dungeons & Dragons
Wildemount: #17,369 in Books, #61 in Dungeons & Dragons
Acquisitions, Inc.: #20,361 in Books, #67 in Dungeons & Dragons
Note that these are not historic ranks, but current sales today.

As of early 2019, Nate Stewart said on the Spoilers & Swag stream that Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica was one of the hottest selling products in the entire history of D&D, and Theros and Strixhaven seem to have sold well. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Set for Magic set neww records in card sales, for that matter.

glass

(he, him)
Considering we've had Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Eberron, Dragonlance and next year Planescape, I think classic D&D settings are well represented compared to three MTG settings (Ravnica, Theros, Strixhaven). At this point, we're only missing a proper Greyhawk and Dark Sun to round out the classic TSR line. Plus, poaching art from MTG cards lowers the cost of design significantly.
Mystara.
Also Birthright.

I partly picked Eldraine because the timeline for it getting a book is still very much realistic for 2024,not just because it's the cool mtg meets old school Disney Plane, with it's mix of old school fairy tale tropes and Authorian Legends influences,both of which shaped classic Disney animated movies and TV shows.

Note that these are not historic ranks, but current sales today.

As of early 2019, Nate Stewart said on the Spoilers & Swag stream that Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica was one of the hottest selling products in the entire history of D&D, and Theros and Strixhaven seem to have sold well. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Set for Magic set neww records in card sales, for that matter.

All major mtg sets in Q1 & Q2 of 2022 made over $100,000,000, which would include Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate. Before 2022 only 4 sets in he entire history of MtG made over $100,000,000.

Muso

Explorer
Thanks. Any comparison with the other settings (or with CoS that for a long time was the only adventure out of the FR)?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's not surprising the MtG setting books sell well; there's a huge crossover between MtG and DnD players. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if people somewhere were playing in Dominaria back in 2e. Maybe 5e is the best time for them to put them out, but I was disappointed that there were no crossover settings in 3e after WotC bought tsr.

Last edited:

Remove ads