What makes a game OSR?

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Similarly to other labels like "roguelike" or "thrash metal" or, say, "PbtA", I'd say the best qualifier would be: does the author classify their game as OSR? If yes, it is. If not, it isn't.

Otherwise, just like with Berlin Interpretation of roguelikes, you risk codifying extraneous bull###t that has absolutely nothing to do with the spirit of the game. ...and also weird side-effects like iconic Angband not being considered roguelike.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That and some degree of DNA from B/X, though I don't know that that's always a given - after all, Mork Borg is dramatically separate from B/X, and can be included in OSR game lists.
That’s generally the split between OSR and NuSR. OSR is copying the rules of older games. NuSR is copying the feel of older games. Old-School Essentials is an OSR game because it copies the rules of B/X. Mork Borg is a NuSR game because it copies the feel of old-school gaming while using new and different rules.

level2janitor

Explorer
i don't want to get stuck arguing over definitions - whether a game "counts" as OSR is less important to me than what all the game's dynamics accomplish when put together. my post here is less "OSR means this and only this" and more "this is what i like about the OSR games i've played".
  • combat as war, and to a lesser extent, combat as a fail state. combat is unbalanced, unreliable, and very possible to swing heavily in your favor through your approach and preparation before combat actually happens. this isn't to make the game harder, per se - this means i'm always much more lenient about avoiding combat than i'd be in, say, 5e - it's to ensure combat is not a go-to catch-all solution for every problem, it's the risky Plan B you fall back on in an emergency. this puts emphasis on the second point...
  • your character sheet is a toolkit, not a restrictive list of all your options. your most effective tool is your wits and your ability to do anything a normal person could accomplish with clever thinking; your class abilities are just a little extra on top of that. (this is also the reason most OSR games are low-power, to emphasize normal-person shenanigans.)
  • procedure-heavy. time is tracked for random encounters and dwindling resources. the reliance on procedures eases the amount of GM fiat that goes into running OSR games; if the GM is constantly hand-picking the challenges you'll face, it can feel like the game is less concrete and dampen the feeling that your actions matter. (obviously the GM still decides a lot of things, but this reduces that.)
  • designed for sandbox play. the above points feed into this: if the game is about creative problem solving, and there is no obligation to balance encounters, the GM can simply create locations to explore, drop the party into them, and start playing. the structure provided by rules like dungeon turns takes a lot of work off of the GM, and the rules are usually very resilient to player shenanigans that would cause other games to fall apart.
EDIT: oh, i forgot, probably the most important aspect:

decision making. the core of the experience, to me, is taking stuff that's a foregone conclusion or busywork in other games and making it matter. tracking how many arrows you have is mind-numbingly boring, unless it matters. you go from annoyed you have to track every arrow to scared you will run out, so every time you use an arrow, now that's an agonizing decision about whether it's worth burning one of your valuable few chances to attack without the risks of engaging in melee.

tracking encumbrance is boring busywork, unless what you spend that encumbrance on matters. i have 10 item slots and 5 arrows can fit in a slot; is it worth bringing an extra 5 arrows when that slot could hold a rope, a crowbar, maybe some blast powder, maybe more food in case of an emergency?

inflated economies like D&D has (most OSR games are pretty bad about this, tbh, but it's feasible to fix with houserules) take away meaningful decisions because you'll usually have more gold than you need. throw that out, stop giving out enormous piles of wealth (adjust XP-for-GP math if needed) and always have more stuff the players want to buy than they can get all of. suddenly busywork becomes decision-making. boring gameplay becomes tense, engaging gameplay. and on the plus side players are way more excited about finding gold because it matters now, as more than just XP in the form of an item.

creating as many meaningful decisions as possible is the most important thing for me, and overall OSR games nail that better than any other RPG i've played. i don't know how high up that is on most people's "Here's What Makes A Game OSR" lists, but it's absolutely the top priority where i'm concerned.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
What I've seen, and what I'd consider OSR, the key elements are:
  1. Relatively simple rules that
    1. are usually a subset of the contents of the books in use, not the RAW
    2. are usually pretty bland, mechanically ‡
    3. there is an expectation of the GM being very descriptive.
  2. Rulings not Rules -- some to the point of saying "If you can't remember it, don't bother looking it up."‡
  3. Setting trumps rules †‡
  4. interpersonal interaction is usually purely roleplay, no mechanics ‡
  5. Random Character gen
  6. Short time character gen - if your character dies, under 15 rolls and then 10 min for shoppy store.
While I do respect the ideals, they're not for me.
I like "Rules as framework for texturing the world." And rules that are mechanically doing interesting things. And I really like using skill or attribute checks to prevent dump-statting Charisma...

My favorite pre-1980 game? Nope, not T&T! It's
Starsips & Spacemen
. I at one point tried to make a d20 conversion, and discovered quickly I didn't like the changes I would need. I had permission from Dr. Kanterman; my playtest sessions sucked so bad we switched to the original. I'm not a great designer... but one of my games wound up on the RPG trove's pirated stuff site.

----
† I prefer mechanics to be or to evoke the setting, so this is directly antithetical to my psychological needs
‡ These are why I am not a fan of the OSR movement.
How interesting. Ths doesn't match my personal experience in the OSR play or design spaces nor the contents of conversations similar to this I've had other places. That's not a criticism at all, just an index of how janus-faced any notion of 'the OSR' is or can be. Different people mean very different things when they say it and a lot of those people will die on their little internet hill to try and prove that their vision is the correct one.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
How interesting. Ths doesn't match my personal experience in the OSR play or design spaces nor the contents of conversations similar to this I've had other places. That's not a criticism at all, just an index of how janus-faced any notion of 'the OSR' is or can be. Different people mean very different things when they say it and a lot of those people will die on their little internet hill to try and prove that their vision is the correct one.
I'll note that the wording choice was derived from the introduction in Neoclassical Greek Revival, which I found out about on an OSR board, written by a guy claiming to be part of the movement, and labeling his game as a part of the OSR. And bought because it was on sale in dead tree real cheap at Drive Thru.

Part of the problem with movements is that, lacking a clear initial manifesto, they morph into multiple clades, some reflective of the origin, some not. Even with a manifesto, one gets spin-off groups.

Remove ads