Adventurer
Okay, so for example the 6 core Stats of
Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha
are necessary instead of let's say Stats using other names?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Okay, so for example the 6 core Stats of
Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha
are necessary instead of let's say Stats using other names?
I dont think you need anything in particular, its more of a design and play conceit. For example, Forbidden Lands by Free League is an excellent exploration based OSR type game. Has stats, but not the above mentioned. Doesnt use a D20, or saving throws, etc.. It does have simple supply mechanics based on die size. HP is stats and has simple ways to determine loss. It all provides a old school experience in skill play.

Slit518

Adventurer
I dont think you need anything in particular, its more of a design and play conceit. For example, Forbidden Lands by Free League is an excellent exploration based OSR type game. Has stats, but not the above mentioned. Doesnt use a D20, or saving throws, etc.. It does have simple supply mechanics based on die size. HP is stats and has simple ways to determine loss. It all provides a old school experience in skill play.
Okay, so some things aren't intrinsic to the game's mechanics
such as the 6 Core Stats, Alignment, Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs, Fighters/Mages/Clerics/Thieves, Saving Throws, Experience, Levels -- just as long as the playstyle feels old school?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Okay, so some things aren't intrinsic to the game's mechanics
such as the 6 Core Stats, Alignment, Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs, Fighters/Mages/Clerics/Thieves, Saving Throws, Experience, Levels -- just as long as the playstyle feels old school?
Exactly. Here is a really good blog post. Typically, the rules are lighter in complexity so the play is more by the seat of your pants. It's meant to be creative, challenging, and most importantly fast at the table.

If I had to boil it down to the simplest paradigm, it's be simpler rules that rely on GM adjudication over complete coverage. That and some degree of DNA from B/X, though I don't know that that's always a given - after all, Mork Borg is dramatically separate from B/X, and can be included in OSR game lists.

Remove ads