• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes stupidity fatal?

DustTC

First Post
Happened today: Pal5/Clr3, Pal8, Drd8 and PsyWar8 go up against a Half-Earth Elemental Orc Mnk8 (CR 11 by my estimation) who trapped them in a confined outdoors area with ridges to jump onto and cast Spike Stones on the ground.

Needless to say, this was a pretty tough fight for them, especially as the Monk had drank a potion of haste (he was ambushing them after all). In three rounds he proceeds to absolutely beat them into pulp, dropping the Pal/Clr to -20 hp or so with some lucky rolls (including a huge critical). Their tactics so far mostly consisted of walking around on Spike Stones (which I kindly allowed the Druid to explain them about) and nothing much else (they had potions of Haste themselves, for example).

The Druid is now also down to 25 hp or so and the Pal/Clr is still dead on the floor. Now the Druid thinks it's a good idea to use this Last Breath (or something, MoTW) spell on the Paladin. Basically it's a Raise Dead that has to be cast in the round someone died and it deals 1d6 (I think) dmg per hit dice of the raised character. I (again) kindly warn him that he's got a good chance of putting himself out of combat (average rolls would mean he'd go below 0) and that the Paladin will be coming back to life a) prone and b) with 0 hp.

Player casts the spell anyway (there were Clerics a day away who could have raised the Paladin BTW - they had good reasons to do so too), drops himself to exactly 0 hp and brings the Paladin back to 0 hp. The Monk goes right after the Druid, one-two's them and drops both of them to negative hp.

Luckily for them I have house ruled that you can go to -con hp. The Druid ended up at -10 (and would have been dead at -12), the Paladin (who was prone and never stood a chance) ended up at -14 (dead at -16). The Monk was *well* capable of killing both of them (20+ str, Fists of Iron feat with uses left), but the dice went with the players. I probably should have cheated and killed the Druid for stupidity, after all the poor Paladin was being put in line for two deaths in two rounds by his actions.

After that I actually pulled my punches a bit and let the other two players (who had been acceptably smart and sensible) overcome the Monk in a suitably heroic fashion. It felt wrong to punish them for the stupidity of the Druid (who should have retreated behind the tanks and cast some of the very nasty spells he has, which are pretty much always the deciding factor for this party when the going gets tough), else it would have been TPK.

tburdett

Explorer
I was running my group through the old RPGA R series modules and had the following happen.

*One of the modules has an endless graveyard that the players can find.*

The players emerged from a crypt and looked around them. They were in a graveyard that stretched from horizon to horizon. Row after row of the EXACT same crypt. I emphasized the word EXACT. They asked if there was anything unusual about the crypts. Nothing, I said, except that they were all EXACTLY (emphasis again) the same. The last player out of the crypt closed the door.

*At this point I knew that the party was doomed. They didn't have any magic (spells or items) that would allow them to do planar travel, and nothing to help them get back to the crypt that they had came out of.*

I let them wander around for about 30 minutes (several hours of game time) and then asked them what they planned to do. The party leader, the paladin, said that there was apparently nothing to do and that they planned to go "back into ... the ... crypt ... that ... we ... came ... out ... of."

*Paladin player gradually turned to glare at the player who had closed the crypt door as he said the last bit.*

It's now 15 years later, and the two players who I've gamed with since high school will still occasionally say, "Don't close the door!"

ced1106

Explorer
NoOneofConsequence said:
For example, I had a 1st level character (2e) who went toe-to-toe in a battle of wills with Lord Soth

**SPOILER** (maybe)

Reminds me of a session of the humor module, Castle Greyhawk. I only like a few of the levels, and the one we were playing was, "Fluffy Goes Down The Drain". It's for 8th level, so I toned down the monsters for the party, which was three players at 3rd level. Except for the end. The climax has the PCs meeting Jubilex, but he's on holiday.

Steve's quote for the game: "But I thought it was an illusion!"

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Sanackranib

First Post
stupid

Berk said:

Nod, I'm all for survival of the fittest. We should evoke dawinianism as a method from ages 13-22.

You would think that would work, but here is why it won't:
It's all about numbers. those people who natural selection would normally weed out are also among the most prolific breeders and they start YOUNG in order to pass their stupid genes onto the next generation before natural selection can weed them out!:p

Berk

First Post
You would think that would work, but here is why it won't:
It's all about numbers. those people who natural selection would normally weed out are also among the most prolific breeders and they start YOUNG in order to pass their stupid genes onto the next generation before natural selection can weed them out!

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads