What makes Undead, Undead? and are all Undead evil?

sirwmholder

First Post
glass said:
I strongly disagree! Is a gun inherently evil? Now, what if I go and shoot a few children with it? That couldn't be evil could it, because the gun isn't?* Negative energy doesn't kill people, evil clerics kill people.
I think this is a bit flawed... if the only reason to use or conjure negative energy is to inflict death... then I see it as being evil for it's only intent is to cause harm and warp the natural order of things.

Using your example of a gun... a gun is neutral for it can be used to hunt and provide for a family... where as negative energy is always lethal to any living being and may cause that being to warp and twist into an Undead creature.

Still I know a great many people who do view negative energy as a tool... a means to an end... and do not think it should be labeled evil... frankly I'm undecided on the subject... I just think for a game mechanic stand point the concept just doesn't work very well.

Thank you for your time,
Wm. Holder

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Using your example of a gun... a gun is neutral for it can be used to hunt and provide for a family... where as negative energy is always lethal to any living being and may cause that being to warp and twist into an Undead creature.

There are legends of people- sometimes many people- volunteering for "unlife" in an effort to guard a place or people or thing for a long time...at least, longer than mortal lifespans.

Currently, the main game mechanic for that is by animation by negative or positive energy, and its usually the former, not the latter.

Given that in 1Ed mummies were animated by positive energy- but still turnable- I don't currently make any distinction in 3.X games between traditionally animated undead and those animated by positive energy- the so-called "Deathless" of the current game.

Remove ads