D&D 5E What might the "increase in product" look like?

Yeah, compilations of smaller Adventures are going to be a thing moving forward, too: Used Candle keep as a natural evolution of Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh combined with the surging stream of DMsGuild creators rising up.

Honestly, having now done a skim of all the Candlekeep adventures, having more anthology books like that in the future would be perfectly fine. The conceit tying the adventures to Candlekeep itself is easily dispensed with, as DMs could just have the books that trigger the adventures be introduced in whatever manner they see fit (found as treasure, available for purchase at a mysterious bookstore, etc.). Even Kandlekeep Rekonstruktion, which of all of the adventures is most intimately tied to Candlekeep itself, could easily be changed to a mad gnome in any town/city. Further anthologies with similar linked themes would make fine future releases. They might not quite be the equivalents to the modules of old, but for all intents and purposes, Candlekeep Mysteries is simply 17 modules all in one book...

(But please, WotC, give us at least give a few level 17+ adventures if you do continue with the anthology format!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, having now done a skim of all the Candlekeep adventures, having more anthology books like that in the future would be perfectly fine. The conceit tying the adventures to Candlekeep itself is easily dispensed with, as DMs could just have the books that trigger the adventures be introduced in whatever manner they see fit (found as treasure, available for purchase at a mysterious bookstore, etc.). Even Kandlekeep Rekonstruktion, which of all of the adventures is most intimately tied to Candlekeep itself, could easily be changed to a mad gnome in any town/city. Further anthologies with similar linked themes would make fine future releases. They might not quite be the equivalents to the modules of old, but for all intents and purposes, Candlekeep Mysteries is simply 17 modules all in one book...

(But please, WotC, give us at least give a few level 17+ adventures if you do continue with the anthology format!)

The introduction does a pretty good job of explaining how to mine the modules for parts, too, beyond just reframing them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
What about them? Wildemount is mostly a setting book and AI a supplement, although somewhat unusual. Assuming you're responding to overgeeked's concern, I think they are talking about general players options that aren't tied to a setting or adventure. There's lots of that stuff sprinkled throughout, but Xanathar's and Tasha's are the only really dedicated books to players options.
I didn't see them on the infographic in the OP's post. If we are trying to extrapolate future works by looking at prior publications, might be helpful to have all publications listed.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I agree that we won't get another Xanathar's or Tasha's book for a little while. These two books have been the two major adjustments to the course of 5E in my opinion. They always freshened the experience and brought some changes.

I fully expect at least one book with monsters and lore ala Volo's or Mordenkainen's. That's what we've been getting in between.
I fully expect a second setting this year.
I fully expect another adventure/set of adventures.

That brings us to five with Candlekeep and Ravenloft. This might be the increase. If we go to a sixth? I have no idea. Adventures seem like the easiest type of content to churn. Personnally, I would love a new book for GMs; additional rules, new magic items, new traps, etc.

With the first new Dragonlance novel coming out in July, I could see one of the releases tying into that with either a setting or a campaign. But my predictions are generally wrong, so who knows?

I do suspect that we will see a July book before the September big storyline Adventure (based on the UA testing schedule), in addition to a November book , which is a book every two months...quite an escalation, all things considered.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I would like to see more support - in terms of hardcover adventures - for some of the non-FR settings they have already released.

I think that's an obvious path for an increase in output. We have hardcover setting books for Eberron, Ravnica, Theros, and Wildemount but outside of DMsGuild no adventures for any of them that get beyond level 3 (in the case of Wildemount, we don't even have DMsGuild adventures).

In related news, how much do we think people are actually using Ravnica, Theros, or Wildemount for D&D? I mean, obviously some people are. But I don't get the sense that it's a whole lot, despite those books all selling well.

It seems odd to clamor for additional settings to be introduced when most of the ones they've rolled out so far are just kinda sitting there.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
With the first new Dragonlance novel coming out in July, I could see one of the releases tying into that with either a setting or a campaign. But my predictions are generally wrong, so who knows?
I think the easiest Dragonlance book they could do would be a 5E adaptation of the War of the Lance adventures, with a bit of player-facing stuff up front, a slim gazetteer of Ansalon and the minimum required monsters for the adventures in the back. They're 12 adventures, but they're not huge -- look at how few pages G1-3 take up in Yawning Portal.

Remove ads