D&D (2024) What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

• Species

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • Type

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Form

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Lifeform

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Biology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taxonomy

• Taxon

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Genus

• Geneology

• Family

• Parentage

• Ancestry

Votes: 99 55.6%
  • Bloodline

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Line

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lineage

Votes: 49 27.5%
  • Pedigree

• Folk

Votes: 34 19.1%
  • Kindred

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Kind

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Kin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Kinfolk

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Filiation

• Extraction

• Descent

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Heredity

• Heritage

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • People

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Nature

• Birth

Yaarel

He Mage
I don’t think we’ll ever settle whether an artificial intelligence is conscious - we can’t even settle what consciousness really is let alone if any other entities possess it.
I can say categorically: The current computer technologies cannot ever be conscious, in principle.

But new technologies might be capable of consciousness. And the current experiments making computers out of biological material − who knows what is actually going on with regard to consciousness?

I expect science to eventually understand how consciousness works − but at that point science and mysticism will become moreorless the same thing.

Im curious. In what contexts do you use "kin"?

For me, I mainly tend to use it in academic contexts relating to tribal kinship systems. Even then I might instead use the term "family" with the understanding of extended family.
You mean exactly like Modern Humans and Neanderthals, two different species?
My family and others where I was raised (rural New England and environs) use "kin" to refer to relations beyond first cousins or through marriage. Siblings, niblings and such are "family", further familial distance is "kin". I've also come across that in conversation in Texas, Arkansas, and the like.

Cool thing about some recent* papers is that there are a number of DNA sequences that are shared between Neanderthals and humans. We've been able to discern which come from whom, and what comes from the likely common ancestor. The thing I find interesting is that there are sequences in Neanderthal DNA that do not appear in human DNA, implying that there are some that are severely maladaptive for humans or even trigger fetal demise. Sadly we don't have enough Denisovian DNA to make similar observations. And red hair is our own thing, we didn't get it from the Neanderthals.

Tangent complete.

* Scientifically recent, so 5-10 years old or so.

Yaarel

He Mage
For my potential grandchildren's sake, I hope not.
There will be luddites who refuse to participate in technology. But they will be obsolete. It wont even be possible for the luddites to have meaningful conversations with those who are technologically advancing.

Scribe

Legend
There will be luddites who refuse to participate in technology. But they will be obsolete. It wont even be possible for the luddites to have meaningful conversations with those who are technologically advancing.

AKA: The AI. Yes. The idea that an AI would hang around and wait for Humanity is not one I'm going to cling to.

Yaarel

He Mage
My family and others where I was raised (rural New England and environs) use "kin" to refer to relations beyond first cousins or through marriage. Siblings, niblings and such are "family", further familial distance is "kin". I've also come across that in conversation in Texas, Arkansas, and the like.
Heh, it sounds biblical.

• "House" (בית) = nuclear family
• "Clan" (משפחה) = extended family
• "Kin" (עם) = relations beyond that but within the same tribal kinship system

So the phrase the "people of God", actually means, God is a next-of-kin, in the sense of being a member of the tribal alliance.

Cool thing about some recent* papers is that there are a number of DNA sequences that are shared between Neanderthals and humans. We've been able to discern which come from whom, and what comes from the likely common ancestor. The thing I find interesting is that there are sequences in Neanderthal DNA that do not appear in human DNA, implying that there are some that are severely maladaptive for humans or even trigger fetal demise. Sadly we don't have enough Denisovian DNA to make similar observations. And red hair is our own thing, we didn't get it from the Neanderthals.

Tangent complete.

* Scientifically recent, so 5-10 years old or so.
I find the concept of "partially recombinant" DNA intriguing.

Yaarel

He Mage
AKA: The AI. Yes. The idea that an AI would hang around and wait for Humanity is not one I'm going to cling to.
There are only two options: technologically upgrade ones own brain or opt out of technology.

Both alternatives seem a bit ... risky.

Part of the reason I love D&D is, its magical scenarios are often thought experiments about the reallife future.

Scribe

Legend
There are only two options: technologically upgrade ones own brain or opt out of technology.

Both alternatives seem a bit ... risky.

Part of the reason I love D&D is, its magical scenarios are often thought experiments about the reallife future.

Yeah the thought experiment angle is a good part of why I like D&D and well Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

I'll be opting out, and moving to the woods. ;)

Yaarel

He Mage
Yeah the thought experiment angle is a good part of why I like D&D and well Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

I'll be opting out, and moving to the woods. ;)
I hope to upgrade to technology when I turn 80.

I am curious about the future. But I want to have had a full life, before doing so, ... in case anything goes wrong!

Think about criminals hacking a persons brain directly ... yikes!

Remove ads