What Non-D&D TSR RPGs Needs to be Revived?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Boot Hill. There have a been a few non-TSR western RPG released over the years (e.g. Aces & Eights), but Boot Hill 3rd edition is a simple, eloquent, western RPG that I'd buy again if re-released (I know that it is or was available as a POD, but I'd love to see it as an entirely new edition).

JEB

Legend

JEB

Legend
If it's a game/setting that I wouldn't mind seeing updated to 5e-style mechanics, probably Dark*Matter. It's an INCREDIBLY 1990s setting so it's possible it wouldn't update well to current day, but I still enjoy it.
Dark*Matter was a favorite of mine as well, but I have also heard it suggested the lore wouldn't hold up today. (Even the d20 Modern update wasn't as fun, IIRC.)

I'd just be happy to see Alternity stuff in PDF, though.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It is, however, owned entirely by Wizards of the Coast who would not need a license from themselves to publish it once the material it was based on enters the public domain.
The comic strip was published from 1929–1967. When the comics from 1929 enter the public domain in 2025, only the stuff from 1929 enters the public domain. Anything published later, 1930-1967, is still under copyright. Any characters, plots, character traits, etc that were published in 1930 or later are still under copyright. The game was based on the complete franchise, most of which will still be under copyright for decades to come. It will be another 38 years before the comics published in 1967 enter the public domain. Once that happens, then WotC can publish their game without asking permission. But then anyone could publish a game on the Buck Rogers comics.

Last edited:

dbolack

Adventurer
The comic strip was published from 1929–1967. When the comics from 1929 enter the public domain in 2025, only the stuff from 1929 enters the public domain. Anything published later, 1930-1967, is still under copyright. Any characters, plots, character traits, etc that were published in 1930 or later are still under copyright. The game was based on the complete franchise, most of which will still be under copyright for decades to come. It will be another 38 years before the comics published in 1967 enter the public domain. Once that happen, then WotC can publish their game without asking permission. But then anyone could publish a game on the Buck Rogers comics.
The High Adventure game is definitely offlimits until 2029. The XXV game seemed more like a Cyber and Genepunk reskin of the 70s TV show but my copy appears to be in hiding at the moment.

pawsplay

Hero
The TSR Buck Rogers line also had licensed Gold Box computer games, a strategic board game, and tie-in novels. So my guess is that TSR does not own that version of the property entirely.

Remove ads