D&D 5E What Nonstandard/Untraditional Races do you wish would return?

Nevvur

Explorer
Here's what I don't understand: if you don't have any interest in the idea of having non-traditional races return to D&D, then why are you even here? This thread has nothing for you.

Take your pick:

1) You asked a question, I gave an answer I felt was valid. My answer is now included in the larger informal opinion poll you've begun, and I see I'm not alone in my position. However, I'm not looking for others to validate my preferences. I first posted and have monitored this thread because I think the data is valuable in understanding what players in general want, so this thread does in fact have something for me.

2) Uhh.... Fey'ri are kinda cool? Can I stay now, pwetty pwease?

Tallifer

Hero
Kalashtar from Eberron (which would hopefully also mean that psionics would be published).

I also like the above mentioned Deva, Wilden, Warforged, Shardminds, Shadar-kai, Minotaurs and Pixies.

Vadam.jpg

akr71

Hero
None. I am quite happy with human/elf/dwarf/halfling/half-orc. However, if one of my players wants to play a specific race I'll allow it, provided they put some work into the character and backstory - that is, why is this creature adventuring?

So when I say "The next campaign is likely going to start near the border of a human kingdom and a nation of elves. Goblin and orc strongholds are nearby and dwarves, nomadic humans, orcs and hobgoblins to the north. Across the sea to the south are more humans, elves and dwarves, " they roll up a tiefling, tabaxi and lizardfolk :-S

neobolts

Explorer
What ever happened to the quadruped races, like bariaur and dracotaur? They've all but disappeared. I'd like to see them come back.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] like that.

It is about context. I love warforged and mul. But never ever ever in FR or greyhawk, but in the Settings they belong to.
One additional: I would never ever allow dragonborn as PC in a DL campaign.

If my Players want to Play Monsters (Orcs, Drow, Draconians) i am fine with that for a Change, but then i will Play the Paladins and light clerics and the mighty city guard, and the gold dragon, and they are in for an all evil style campaign. If they insist, no Problem for me as a DM.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I'm of several minds here. On the one hand, there's two things I'm not a fan of:

1) Race options that are divorced from the campaign setting and have no setting context. For instance, I like all the races in Dragonlance and Dark Sun and Eberron because I know the setting and the stories. Races need good backstories. So just giving me a bird-man race without any setting or context doesn't do much for me.

2) Monsters as PCs races. I like there to be a clear line between PC races and monsters. For better or worse, D&D games are often about charging in, killing things, and taking their stuff. That's better as beer & popcorn fodder when the bad guys are unambiguously bad guys. Banishing demons and slaying marauding dragons? Great! Wiping out a whole orc tribe (including the young) that could have been LG Paladins if raised right? Uhhhh... yeah, I'd rather orcs stayed irredeemable monsters.

On the other hand, I can think of some obvious "holes" in the race line-up that could be filled and made interesting-

Plant guys! Where's Groot?

Goat guys! Bariaur? Maybe a bipedal one like a domesticated minotaur?

Shifters! We could use some tame were-people

Mojh. I always liked this race from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed.

delericho

Legend
One additional: I would never ever allow dragonborn as PC in a DL campaign.

I'm a little torn on that one - at one point WotC were going with "Dragonborn = Draconians", and in some cases I would allow Draconians as PCs. That said, I don't really agree with WotC's position on this one, so...

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION] #20 ...and i thought i know them all (most of them at least)

holy .... are most of these 4e? Never heard or read about some of these.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=28653]Irdar Ranger[/MENTION] well Bariaur were one of the PC races for ADD 2nd Planescape. As were Modrons i think or was that only in PS Torment?

Remove ads