D&D 4E What period of D&D art would you most like to see 4E emulate?

Which style of depiction of monsters and setting would you prefer for 4E?

• OD&D/Early AD&D

Votes: 43 18.1%
  • Late AD&D/2E

Votes: 71 29.8%
  • 3E/3.5

Votes: 62 26.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 26.1%

Valiant

First Post
It seems many of the classic fantasy races and monsters (found in fairy tales etc.) presented in D&D have underground major changes in the various versions of the game, from the more traditional depictions (what you'd see in history books or classic fairy tales) to more "modernish" (that would look out of place in classic fairy tale books). This, I think, is also true of the setting depictions.

So, if you had to pick one period in D&Ds history to emulate more closely which would it be. would you want monsters and settings to be depicted more like OD&D/early 1E, late 1E/2E, 3E/3.5 or other?
(if other please explain).

Note: when considering your choice think more about the art depicted in the core books of each period rather then the modules (which often had covers that were highly stylized).

Last edited:

Rvdvelden

First Post
When I read the title I was hoping to find poll answers like:

a) More powerful
b) Less powerful
c) Medium rare on a silver plate :p

So I voted Other. ;)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
While on the whole I like 3E's art choices, I'd prefer to revamp the basic D&D elf a bit to make them slightly more Tolkien-like in height. The short elf of D&D always struck me as strange; I'd rather have Orlando Bloom than Peter Pan. Keep the slenderness, and make them look more humanish. For the aesthetic, I'd probably go with much more of a 'close to nature' depiction: leaf-colored armors, camoflage, bones and feathers.

woodelf.gif

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Really? That quote was so good that you felt you had to reiterate it? Because it doesn't match your poll question, doesn't match the subject line question and, frankly, isn't super-clear.

And what the hell is KAKA?

Valiant

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Really? That quote was so good that you felt you had to reiterate it? Because it doesn't match your poll question, doesn't match the subject line question and, frankly, isn't super-clear.

And what the hell is KAKA?

Sorry about that. I edited the original question and so it (hopefully) makes more since (the post at K&KA was what inspired the thought only, ie. differences in artwork between D&D editions). :confused: Hope that helped. ;)

Last edited:

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Rvdvelden said:
When I read the title I was hoping to find poll answers like:

a) More powerful
b) Less powerful
c) Medium rare on a silver plate :p

So I voted Other. ;)

I was thinking something like this, and I would have voted C.

Mallus

Legend
I voted 'Other', but, frankly, I couldn't care less about the art style used in 4e.

In my games, the monsters look like the pictures in my head, not the ones in the Monster Manual.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I picked 'late AD&D/2e,' and was specifically thinking of Jeff Easley's work and Brom's Dark Sun work.

Their styles are not necessarily my favorites when it comes to fantasy art in general, but out of those used for D&D in the past, they definitely rise to the top.

Remove ads