D&D 5E What proportion of the population are adventurers?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Where did 2.5 years come from? Did you just pull that out of the air? I hope you weren't referring to my comment about our main campaign, but because those characters have been at it nearly 4 years and would be several levels behind any Alexander the Great NPC write-up I would make.
Mostly thin air don't even know for sure what level i would call AtG (15? whats your thought) I have friends whose characters meet every week and they have gone through 1 to 2 weeks (each session being 2 weeks in game world on average) and reached level 20s in real life time of 6 months so call it a game world year for 20 levels.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Mostly thin air don't even know for sure what level i would call AtG (15? whats your thought) I have friends whose characters meet every week and they have gone through 1 to 2 weeks (each session being 2 weeks in game world on average) and reached level 20s in real life time of 6 months so call it a game world year for 20 levels.
Thin air made more sense.

I would but AtG at 17-18 (definitely in tier 4).

IMO you can't really relate a lot of game time to real time simply because it varies so much from table to to table.

For instance, in our CoS game we have played 8 sessions now (about 16 for most groups as our sessions run 10-14 hours routinely) and those characters are level 6. The time "in game" is maybe two-three weeks, probably less!

In our other game we've had about 40 sessions over the last 15 months or so (80 sessions for more groups) and the PCs are levels 12-13. So, it is slower. "In game" time is much longer, nearly 4 years.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I tend towards the view that it's about as common as being in a band - lots of kids talk about starting a band, a much smaller subset actually get together a band, and an even smaller number of those actually play something in front of an actual audience. And that's the point at which they're the equivalent of being 1st level adventurers.
Along these lines, have you ever read "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames?

In that setting, adventuring parties really are synonymous with rock bands. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In an XP-driven world, you don't get a choice. Why? Because Uncle Fizban wants you.

Powerful nations would draft promising teenagers and put them through "adventurer boot camp"--standardized dungeon crawls, fine-tuned through centuries of trial and error to maximize the number of high-level adventurers that emerge. It's a lot like the boot camps used by real-world militaries since the dawn of warfare, only cranked up to 11 billion and capable of producing spellcasters as well as soldiers.

The nations that don't do this will quickly be overwhelmed by the super-soldier armies of the nations that do.

Question: Why do these soldiers stay loyal? Answer: No ruler can stay in power without their support, so they get lavishly rewarded and courted by all political factions. It's a pretty sweet deal. The conscripts who died in training might not think so, of course, but they don't get a say.
This sounds like Odin... he raises his heros from the dead each morn i think it was... if they win their battles they get to party afterwards otherwise its just raised again to battle more.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
IF you are capable of recognizing exaggeration is indeed exaggeration then the rest of your comment is rather just a worthless diatribe .... Someone getting great levels in a few months yeh or even a couple years is ridiculously fast in real life terms it is an extremely rarity in real life rather akin to what Alexander the Great did as a very young man not what the college graduate down the block did at college. (nor the vast majority do afterwards)
Yeah. I've been in campaigns where my PC started at 16 and was level 20 by 17 years old. Others have taken 2-3 years of game time, putting me at a whopping early 20's by the time I hit epic levels. It is a bit ridiculous, but most DMs don't have years of time pass in-between adventures.

Remove ads