• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What published settings have significantly influenced your current game.

Which published settings/materials have significantly influenced your current game?

• Blackmoore (1st first for a reason)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Forgotten Realms (the core area cover in FRCS)

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Planescape

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Birthright

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Kara-tur/the old OA

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Al-Quadim

• Spelljammer

• Mazteca

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystara (the old D&D boxed set world)

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Oathbound

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Freeport

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Bluffsides

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

• Wheel of Time

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Call of Cthulhu (everyone and their pet dog has an alien intelligence or a dark power dwelling beyon

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dragonstar (I -think- its D&D)

• Mahasarpa (James Wyatt's OA web setting)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Erde

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Sovereign Stone

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Nymba

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Gothos (hunt for evil)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Slaine (?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arcanis

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Everquest

• Dragonlords of Melbourne

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Harn (OK I have no idea what it is but it turns up)

• Message board story hours (of other people's NOT your own)

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • OTHER (D&D): demon lords from Green Ronin's Armies of the Abyss, MC's Plotus, Diablo II, etc.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • OTHER (non-D&D): Warhammer Fantasy, Rifts, Castle F., etc

Votes: 28 26.9%

der_kluge

Adventurer
My world pretty much consists of Bluffside (jesus, do you *need* more than that?!), and has influences of Gothos, and of course, the obligatory FR. I imagine everyone at some point has to count FR as an influence.

Psion

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
My world pretty much consists of Bluffside (jesus, do you *need* more than that?!), and has influences of Gothos, and of course, the obligatory FR. I imagine everyone at some point has to count FR as an influence.

No they don't. FR is largely borrowed and co-opted in the first place.

My world may look a littjr like FR, but outside of a few outright ports over from FR (e.g., I use undermountain IMC), most stuff in my game that you might think came from FR in my game came from old games. For example, I use many of the deities from FR (like Finnish deities and demihuman deities.) But many of those were lifted straight from the old DDG and Greyhawk material, and from folklore.

War Golem

First Post
1 more...

Vor, the Maelstrom.

Forgot that one. Never played the game, but some of the setting material and races are great. Some version of both the Pharon and the Growlers will be playing a large role in my campaign in the next year or two (as NPC/Monster types, of course).

Cheers,

-War Golem

bwgwl

First Post
i find that most of my homebrew influences come from books and movies, not other role-playing settings.

the last world i worked on was heavily influenced by the 1001 Arabian Nights and the old Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies, but, for example, didn't take anything from Al-Qadim.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Scarred Lands of course, but I still pay homage in small ways to Faerun and occasional Ravenloft. Monster wise I just use Scarred Land ones but I also like to use monsters from other worlds.

Glyfair

Explorer
By far the answer for me is Glorantha. Nothing comes quite close to the cultural and mythical richness of the setting. I'm trying very hard to keep that amoudt of mythical depth in my game.

Glyfair of Glamis

Graf

Explorer
inneresting

Psion said:

No they don't. FR is largely borrowed and co-opted in the first place.

My world may look a littjr like FR, but outside of a few outright ports over from FR (e.g., I use undermountain IMC), most stuff in my game that you might think came from FR in my game came from old games. For example, I use many of the deities from FR (like Finnish deities and demihuman deities.) But many of those were lifted straight from the old DDG and Greyhawk material, and from folklore.

FR was derivative. Like the Scarred Lands now though I think the setting's strength was always -how- it derived things.
Also If somebody has only gotten the FRCS and just uses that then for them FR -is- the influence. I got my ideas for magic from the old FR novels, not from Jack Vance. Though he's almost certainly the source of the memorize and forget system.

Everyone knows that these polls aren't accurate.
Having said that:
right now after FR, &GH, the next largest section is non-D&D (I wouldn't have expected that) followed by CoC! Not that I'm surprised.... everybody loves horrible unknowable evil these days. Which makes Sandy Peterson even more of a visionary I suppose.

I was more curious about the outliers than anything else. (if someone votes you can say that at least -x- number of people on the boards play with the setting)
If you vote something most people probably haven't heard of (what's harn?) share with the group what or why.

Three people run games significantly influenced by Blackmore, Mahasarpa, Oathbound has 2 people running games (it came out a month ago)....

i'm seeing more votes for Bluffsides than Freeport.... which is weird to me because I hear about Freeport everytime I wander onto the net but i don't even know who publishes bluffsides.

13 people are doing Al-quadim stuff! Beating out Ravenloft, Darksun, Spelljammer and every other one of the "second tier" settings we saw in 2nd ed. (its not a quality comment as a group those settings did more to show the breath and depth of possibilities offered by D&D than anything else).

More people (as of now) are influenced by planescape than the Scarred Lands.

bwgwl said:
i find that most of my homebrew influences come from books and movies, not other role-playing settings.

I -almost- threw this in. I just read the Athenian Murders and I took a bunch of the street scenes and a few personalities (the little dog is now a familiar of a dwarven sorcerer) and stuck them in my game.
But I was a touch worried that the admins would close the poll because of the length already.
And what does "drawn inspiriation" mean when its applied to a book or a movie?
I don't think anybody's conceptulization of fantasy interaction/combat/staging wasn't affected by the Matrix, Lord of the Rings (the movie) or Star Wars.
Though I'm not a huge tolkeen fan I think a lot of people probably are....
George R.R. Martin's Songs of Fire and Ice Trilogy is probably the basis of my current (for the PCs insainly aggrivating) DMing style. The sort of there-is-no-big-plot-things-(mostly-bad)-just-happen storyline had a big impact on me.
[ok so there is a plot but its convoluted to the point that it never gets neatly cleaned up]
And China Mieville's books Perdido Statin & the Scar (which I just bought) really did a lot for letting me invision a more dystopian fantasy world where classism (and racism and sexism) are tools for storytelling and not just a 3rd rail you try to avoid.

if we were going to do a poll about fiction (or non-fiction) which has influenced people what names would you want to see?

[off to spend the 20 hours in a sardine can with several hundred other people at 20,000 ft. don't worry though.... if something happens there's a little cusion-which-functions-as-a-portable-flotatoin-device under your seat. hate flying.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads