• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what race??? cant help being human

Kal Vito

First Post
i am about to start a new campaign

and i would like to be another another race but cant seem to stop myself from being human

its the bonus feat. i find it to be a huge selling point

anybody else find themselves drawn to certain races

adndgamer

First Post
The best thing for you to do, I believe, would be to make up a character concept.

Perhaps play a fighter/mage or fighter/sorcerer elf (I think that a fighter/wizard is the epitomy of what an elf is...), and just go along with the whole character idea (in this case, it would be being an elf. A stereotypical fun-loving magic-using, sword-weilding elf). Don't worry about meta gaming stuff, like the bonus feat. But think about what kind of character you want to create.

Me, well, I prefer humans, but it's not because of the bonus feat. Rather, it's because it's the race that I can relate to best. And, they're the median of all the other humanoid races. Not too frail (like an elf), not too strong (like a half-orc), and not too small (like a halfling).

EOL

First Post
Meta-gaming can be tough not to do, but I find in the end you have more fun if you create a concept and stick to it. It is concievable that you won't have as many kills as the powergamer in the party, but I think you'll have as much if not more enjoyment.

Humanophile

First Post
Ironic. I've been drawn to humans since back when their selling point was "we have no special powers, we can't see in the dark, and everyone else has ...uhm, prejudice. Yeah, that's it". But that's because I can put myself into a human mindset best, and nothing else felt right.

If you have a real craving for a nonhuman with a bonus feat, look at those whatchamacallit halflings from FR. But the best idea will probably be repeated several times over; Start thinking what concept you want (leave game mechanics out now, just think archetypes). Narrow down to class, alignement, and then race, possibly twisting one or two things. (But be logical here. Flighty elf wizards with pointy hats are stereotypical. Pragmatic dwarf wizards as military/mercenary elites are a little out there. Half orc wizards are overdone attempts at "originality", and dumb to boot.) If your idea is a mounted knight in shining armor from a long royal lineage, by all means go human fighter if that fits. If your idea is a savage, mongol-like mounted bandit, go half-orc. If nothing else, it'll set you in a mind to play the concept, which'll make you more receptive to nonhuman concepts when they arise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads