D&D 5E What removes exhaustion?

Blackbrrd

First Post
It is a bit silly that a lesser restoration that can cure blindness, deafness, and paralysation can't restore any exhaustion levels.

Also a short rest should recover a level, maybe limit it to once per day from short rests so you can't spam them.

I think I will do something like this.

Once per day you can recover a level of exhaustion after taking a short rest if you have adequate food and drink.

Lesser Restoration will recover 1 level of exhaustion, and Restoration will recover all of them.

If you had read the Wheel of Time series, the 5e way of doing exhaustion fits pretty well (up until you get magic that removes it).

MartyW

Explorer

Once per day you can recover a level of exhaustion after taking a short rest if you have adequate food and drink.

Lesser Restoration will recover 1 level of exhaustion, and Restoration will recover all of them.

This is definitely the best fix and should be put into the errata immediately.

Staffan

Legend
The limited ways to remove exhaustion are a major sticking point for the barbarian. The simple fact is that they have a very severe and artificial limit on a core ability.
No, they don't. Their core ability is Rage, and that's not limited by exhaustion at all. Once per day they get to upgrade their Rage to a Frenzy, which is a very powerful ability (getting to make extra attacks with a greataxe as a bonus action is nothing to sneeze at). If they want, they can Frenzy more than once in a day, but then they will take more than one day to recover fully.

MidrealmDM

First Post
It is a bit silly that a lesser restoration that can cure blindness, deafness, and paralysation can't restore any exhaustion levels.

Also a short rest should recover a level, maybe limit it to once per day from short rests so you can't spam them.

I think a good method would be allow a player to spend Hit Dice during a short rest to recover.
Maybe spending half their total HD, this limits it to twice per day (max)
And lends to the idea that it is physically straining to be exhausted.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I think a good method would be allow a player to spend Hit Dice during a short rest to recover.
Maybe spending half their total HD, this limits it to twice per day (max)
And lends to the idea that it is physically straining to be exhausted.
I like this idea of being able to recover quicker by spending some Hit Dices. It's a limited ressource tied to recovery after all and it would be thus fairly taxing but possible!

hejtmane

Explorer
Yeah, exhaustion turns out to be quite hard to remove in 5E. When you need a 5th-level spell with a 100-gp consumable material component just to get rid of one level of exhaustion, that says something.

I do not use material compotnets my self I hate that type of magic rules always have; with a few exceptions

Last edited:

Remove ads