• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
You're saying the same thing as I said. Not effected by resistance. You take the Temps first then resistance.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
No, i am saying the opposite, damage is applied THP the same as regular HP. It comes after Saves and resistance/immunity. It would also occur after Vulnerability is not applied. It is not a modification on the damage taken, it an additional form of HP that damage is applied to first.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I gave you the page earlier in the section of resistance and vulnerabilities. The last sentence says it. I hate repeating myself especially in a written forum. How about you go read it, then come back. I've read all 3 sections of saving throws and no where does it says you can drop anything goes to 1/4 damage, so disprove me.

Elemental Adept looks so much better. Half damage on a save is Resistance, and Elemental Adept gets to ignore Resistance. Therefore all spells with that damage type do full damage, save or not. Unless the target is immune.

Yet I still think half damage is like 'resistance' in that it halves damage, but not actual Resistance. Thus it is not ignored by Elemental Adept.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Wow. This thread is a microcosm of half of the conversations in ENWorld. Can't keep up with it.

If a final handout or presentation comes out of this, would love it were posted in Resources/Downloads

SubDude

Explorer
I gave you the page earlier in the section of resistance and vulnerabilities. The last sentence says it. I hate repeating myself especially in a written forum. How about you go read it, then come back. I've read all 3 sections of saving throws and no where does it says you can drop anything goes to 1/4 damage, so disprove me.

As I read it, that entire last paragraph on page PHB 197 only applies to "multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability." This is the bold typed "resistance" referenced in "resistance and vulnerability", not the "resistance" used in the generic description of what a saving throw represents.

The fireball does 40 points of fire damage. The target saves, knocking it down to 20, but only takes 10 because he's resistant to fire.

You are certainly free to disagree with me / everyone else.

SubDude

Explorer
Wow. This thread is a microcosm of half of the conversations in ENWorld. Can't keep up with it.

If a final handout or presentation comes out of this, would love it were posted in Resources/Downloads

I will publish what I eventually use. I'm sure it will be chock full of errors.

neogod22

Explorer
As I read it, that entire last paragraph on page PHB 197 only applies to "multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability." This is the bold typed "resistance" referenced in "resistance and vulnerability", not the "resistance" used in the generic description of what a saving throw represents.

The fireball does 40 points of fire damage. The target saves, knocking it down to 20, but only takes 10 because he's resistant to fire.

Isn't saving vs a spell resisting the spell? Resistance is resistance whether it's from a racial ability, and magic items, or a save. If you're gonna DM with it thst way, more power to you. I'll come to your table and exploit it all night, but come to my table, it won't fly.

Hussar

Legend

And to top it off, if he had 10 temp hp, he would lose those 10 tmp and still be at full regular hps.

Hussar

Legend
Isn't saving vs a spell resisting the spell? Resistance is resistance whether it's from a racial ability, and magic items, or a save. If you're gonna DM with it thst way, more power to you. I'll come to your table and exploit it all night, but come to my table, it won't fly.

So, if my sorcerer has elemental adept, are all targets of my spells that are not outright immune automatically taking full damage regardless of save?

Wow I wanna play a caster at your table.

neogod22

Explorer
Elemental Adept looks so much better. Half damage on a save is Resistance, and Elemental Adept gets to ignore Resistance. Therefore all spells with that damage type do full damage, save or not. Unless the target is immune.

Yet I still think half damage is like 'resistance' in that it halves damage, but not actual Resistance. Thus it is not ignored by Elemental Adept.
Well I stand by what I say. If a player came to me with this argument, then I would agree, but it's a double edged sword and I would make sure they knew that the same could happen to them.

Remove ads