What Science Fiction Games are being played these days?

Votan

Explorer
I was surprised to see very few science fiction (in the sense of spaceships not cyberpunks) games on the local gaming store and book store shelves (I was looking at a few of each kind). The only science fiction RPGs that I saw more than once were Serenity and Star Wars.

I tried looking up Traveller and it seems to have been mostly forgotten (aside from some poorly reviewed Mongoose game products that weren't actually stocked anywhere I looked). Hero seems to have undergone a revision (6th ed) that doesn't current support a space option.

Are the generic (non-universe specific) science fiction games gone?

Andor

First Post
I was surprised to see very few science fiction (in the sense of spaceships not cyberpunks) games on the local gaming store and book store shelves (I was looking at a few of each kind). The only science fiction RPGs that I saw more than once were Serenity and Star Wars.

I tried looking up Traveller and it seems to have been mostly forgotten (aside from some poorly reviewed Mongoose game products that weren't actually stocked anywhere I looked). Hero seems to have undergone a revision (6th ed) that doesn't current support a space option.

While I haven't seen 6th ed hero I would be astonished if it wouldn't support a space campaign. GURPs has plentiful space options as well of course.

Aside from those two... I think so. Generic SF has always been pretty rare, really. And there are plenty of specific options like Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader, the SW games, there's a new Mechwarrior game due out soon, I've got GURPs Vorkosigan on order, there are some cRPG based games in the works, the Serenity RPG.

So the genre isn't dead by any means, but if you want a generic I think you either need to go with a modern+ generic system like Hero, Gurps or D20 modern or take another SF system you like and strip out the setting specific stuff.

Azgulor

Adventurer
GURPS - Still does sci-fi very well and has strong supplement support for the latest edition (4e)
True20 - One of/the most popular OGL multi-genre game on the market. Has several 3rd-party sci-fi settings available. [Reign of Discordia, Interface Zero]
Mutants & Masterminds - can be adapted for sci-fi gaming
D20 Modern - No longer published by WotC but still easy to find (at least online). Tons of 3rd-party PDF support.
Serenity
Battlestar Galactica
Cortex (the engine Serenity & Battlestar Galactica are built upon)
Traveller - Current edition published-by/licensed-to Mongoose. Several settings/licensed property books as well.

Science Fantasy:
Star Wars SAGA
Shadowrun

Since sci-fi sells less than fantasy, you won't often see these games in your typical bookstore chain (possible exception of Star Wars & Shadowrun), and certainly not in the numbers of fantasy RPGs.

The Green Adam

First Post

Not so much gone but largely forgotten it would seem.

Mongoose's Traveller is indeed a viable game and the closest thing to the classic version we've seen in a long time (that isn't reprints of the classic version that is). I still prefer the original, with a few elements from MegaTraveller and some house rules.

Starblazer Adventures is an interesting alternative from Cubicle 7 and based on the FATE/FUDGE engine if I'm not mistaken.

Firefly/Serenity and Battlestar Galactica have their own games and soon Doctor Who will too.

Now as always, while Sci-Fi dominates video games, TV and film, we see very little of that popularity translate to RPGs. I myself, a much bigger fan of Sci-Fi then Fantasy, have always found it odd. For years I've heard the 'shared past, variable future' theory as to why this is but the arguement loses strength under closer inspection. If it's hard to make a Sci-Fi game popular to a large number of people because everyone's view of Sci-Fi is different, why are we (gamers interested in SF) all complaining that no one makes what we are all clamoring for. We essentially all seem to want the same game.

For the most part a game between Hard Sci-Fi and Space Opera with FTL Spaceships, Future Tech Weapons, Powered Armor, Robots, Cybernetics and Aliens. Don't want Aliens, don't use them. Better yet, let's see the player's book or section have 5 sample aliens made with an 'alien design system' located in the GM section. The same could be done for Robots, Cybernetics, etc.

The thing is, Halo, Mass Effect, Star Trek, Star Wars, the upcoming Avatar movie and Babylon 5 are all different but are they really? Are you telling me that a single game couldn't be made that gives you the mixed feel of all these things?

Personally I homebrew most of my Sci-Fi these days using a self-modified variation of classic Traveller or else I play D6 Star Wars or Last Unicorn Games' ICON system Star Trek depending on my mood.

AD
Barking Alien

Votan

Explorer
Cortex (the engine Serenity & Battlestar Galactica are built upon)

This is an interesting option. I've seen Serenity and BSG in Barnes & Noble so the system is definitely out there but I hadn't noticed that the core rules existed separately (or that the 2 systems both used it as there are items that could be mixed and matched between the 2).

Thanks for the head's up!

{I did know about GURPS but find it awkward in play (and I have tried it many times) so I guess I was subconsciously blocking it.}

Votan

Explorer
The thing is, Halo, Mass Effect, Star Trek, Star Wars, the upcoming Avatar movie and Babylon 5 are all different but are they really? Are you telling me that a single game couldn't be made that gives you the mixed feel of all these things?

I completely agree. When I was 20 years younger, the system that I loved was Traveller. It's definitely got quirks but I liked that you could capture the feel of most of those universes with it (okay, Star Wars was challenging).

I also think that you are right on with Aliens; a good system for building them and let the DM decide if they belong in his universe (like Babylon 5 or Star Trek) or not (like Battlestar Galactica or Serenity).

The Green Adam

First Post
You know what else has always amazed me and I know I've mentioned it before on these forums...

How come no one ever really followed the tried and true format of Player's Book, GM Book, Alien Book? I mean, it worked for a certain game I know became popular...;)

The way I would've done it actually would be akin to the original D6 Star Wars mixed with D&D...in addition to a book for the player and the GM, the third book would be a general sourcebook for sci-fi space adventure. Sticking with the idea that we are making (up) a generic game, we would have an additional 5 to 10 Alien PC Species not in the Player book, a dozen alien creatures of a helpful or adversarial nature, 5 PC style starships (freighters, scouts, etc.), a few capital ships and starfighters, 6 robots and a host of general equipment.

Since the GM book would have the systems for creating all of the above you could basically play indefinitely with just the three main books. Sound familiar?

Again, only Star Wars D6 ever really got it close to perfect. Alternity tried but Alternity suffered from being a TSR/WotC Sci-Fi game and all that entails.

AD
Barking Alien

cattoy

First Post
I am in a biweekly Serenity game, we tried using the published rules and gave up and converted our characters to Hero 5e.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
This is an interesting option. I've seen Serenity and BSG in Barnes & Noble so the system is definitely out there but I hadn't noticed that the core rules existed separately (or that the 2 systems both used it as there are items that could be mixed and matched between the 2).

Not only is there a "generic" Cortex System RPG, but you get a free copy of the PDF with it when you buy the print copy. We've got fans using Cortex for all sorts of licenses and settings, from Stargate: SGU to Dresden Files and Farscape. And of course Supernatural is our latest official Cortex-powered license, which is already a big hit.

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads