What Science Fiction Games are being played these days?

Treebore

First Post
Currently running Mongoose Traveller, just recently wrappedc up a SW SAGA game, and I too have Starblazer and considering giving it a try. My problem is how similar FATE mechanics are to Traveller, so thinking of just adapting it to Traveller.

DarkKestral

First Post
Currently running Mongoose Traveller, just recently wrappedc up a SW SAGA game, and I too have Starblazer and considering giving it a try. My problem is how similar FATE mechanics are to Traveller, so thinking of just adapting it to Traveller.

I don't see how FATE's mechanics are all that similar to Traveller's. FATE's big thing is Aspects, something Traveller doesn't really have. And the Stunt system is unlike Traveller too.

Could you explain your thought process some? I'm really interested in this comparison.

Stormonu

Legend
Would you count Rifts or Shadowrun as a generic sci fi?

I think Sci Fi's big problem is it doesn't have a "standard" race mix like fantasy does, or a staple set of creatures that's generic enough. At this point and time, every science fiction universe is pretty unique; a common world hasn't yet been created that has unified sci fi, much like Tolkien's works did.

I mean, you can expect just about every fantasy game to have:

- Elves
- Dwarves
- A small race (such as Halflings or Gnomes)
- Orcs

And enemies such as
- Undead
- Trolls
- Dragons
- Goblinoids
- Demons
etc.

There's no corresponding generic set of science fiction races/monsters that is common to the genre. In fact, a lot of times the ONLY race you can choose is human, and all the other races are enigmas and/or enemies.

The closest you might be able to come to set of common sci fi races is:

- Augmented Humans
- An insect-like race
- An anthromorphic race (like cat-humans)
- Greys
- Robots/androids

Star Wars is perhaps the closest to "generic" sci fi I can think of, but it's still under copyright at this time.

Hussar

Legend
I'm currently running a Sufficiently Advanced campaign. Very hard SF, set in a post humanist setting, several thousand years in the future.

Best of all, it's 100% free.

Fantastic system and a very cool setting too.

You can download it (legally and aboveboard) here

I'm totally loving it.

Treebore

First Post
I'm currently running a Sufficiently Advanced campaign. Very hard SF, set in a post humanist setting, several thousand years in the future.

Best of all, it's 100% free.

Fantastic system and a very cool setting too.

You can download it (legally and aboveboard) here

I'm totally loving it.

Cool! Our "Thursday Irregulars Group" has been running various systems for about 6 week periods for a couple of years now, glad to see other people doing the same, on Maptools as well!

The Green Adam

First Post
Cool! Our "Thursday Irregulars Group" has been running various systems for about 6 week periods for a couple of years now, glad to see other people doing the same, on Maptools as well!

Indeed. This does my heart good. Its amazing to me that I'm 40 and most of the gamers I know around my own age have only played D&D or maybe a handful of other games.

To me that's just bizarre. I think of it like eating only one kind of food every meal for the rest of your life. I mean I love tacos but I can't eat them every night of the week for years and years.

AD
Barking Alien

The Green Adam

First Post
Would you count Rifts or Shadowrun as a generic sci fi?.

No. At least not to me. IMHO you couldn't get further from generic sci-fi then these two. Both encompass other genres and both have strong fantasy elements.

I think Sci Fi's big problem is it doesn't have a "standard" race mix like fantasy does, or a staple set of creatures that's generic enough. At this point and time, every science fiction universe is pretty unique; a common world hasn't yet been created that has unified sci fi, much like Tolkien's works did..

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement and to me that's what makes Sci-Fi so much more interesting then fantasy. At the same time, a vast number of Sci-Fi titles share the following idea about aliens:

Alien species in Sci-Fi ficition incorporate interesting looking creature concepts (visuals different from humans) with unusual cultural complexities (societies different from those on Earth). That's all I'm asking for in a Sci-Fi game.

AD
Barking Alien

Smeelbo

First Post
Starblazer Adventures!

I recommend the Starblazer Adventure Game, which is essentially FUDGE/FATE Spirit of the Century expanded into space. In contrast to SotC, Starblazer is better designed for "gritty" play, character advancement, detailed gear, campaigning, and large scale organizations.

Starblazer Adventures, while a thick book with $50 price tag, is a complete kit for fast paced collaborative science fiction campaigning, and requires no supplements: only pen, paper, dice and players.

I am very happy with the game, despite a fair number of stupid typos (perhaps they are "flavor" from the comic books).

If you're planning on attending next DunDraCon, I'll be running a game Saturday February 13 2010.

Smeelbo

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Very hard SF, set in a post humanist setting, several thousand years in the future.

Hr. When you say "post humanist", what do you mean by that? If you mean "transhumanist"... well, I'm curious to hear how you fit that in with "hard" SF.

Remove ads