D&D 5E What setting is best for a first time DM?

Ah, I just now realized that you are also a new DM. Than the starter set will be even better suited for you and your group.
Did you already play D&D before? Do you know how the game works? If not than maybe just watch a video of a gaming group playing. Maybe even a video of the first session of the starter set's adventure "Lost Mines of Phandelver". I'm afraid that I don't know any good YT-D&D channels but there have to be some useful out there. Maybe the others can help?
Above all: Have fun togehter!

Bayonet

First Post
Forgotten Realms; simply because it's currently the most supported setting and is the archetype of generic fantasy. I would caution to not overload the players with too much background lore; only give them what is necessary or what is asked for.

Get the 5th edition Starter Set and start playing. You've got a well-written campaign laid out for you, basic rules to refer to, pre-gen character sheets of those players who are having trouble starting up, etc.

Play through Lost Mines of Phandelver, have a great time, and if your players want to explore something else, drop some plot hints, find (or homebrew) some modules you like and let them choose where to go.

Have fun!

I generally lean on the side of advising a custom setting that's just whatever you think of as the basic tropes of fantasy for new DMs, unless you're a) an obsessive planner who can't stop worldbuilding or b) sensitive about exposing your creative work to others. In both of those cases, a pre-built setting is best. I do not, in spite of its popularity, recommend the Realms - they're big and complex and rather messy. If high fantasy is to your taste, Dragonlance might be worth a look, but it has a lot of setting fiddly bits that can be distracting.

Honestly, 4e's Points of Light basic setting - if you can find it - would be my first choice. It's simple, it's straightforward, and the concept scales well as your campaign goes on.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I generally lean on the side of advising a custom setting that's just whatever you think of as the basic tropes of fantasy for new DMs, unless you're a) an obsessive planner who can't stop worldbuilding or b) sensitive about exposing your creative work to others. In both of those cases, a pre-built setting is best. I do not, in spite of its popularity, recommend the Realms - they're big and complex and rather messy. If high fantasy is to your taste, Dragonlance might be worth a look, but it has a lot of setting fiddly bits that can be distracting.

Honestly, 4e's Points of Light basic setting - if you can find it - would be my first choice. It's simple, it's straightforward, and the concept scales well as your campaign goes on.

Ooh. Yeah. I can totally dig PoL. The lack of detail in it lets you try your hand at worldbuilding while having broad strokes to fall back on.

Another option is Mystara. Pick a nation - Thyatia and Karameikos are favorites - and read a bit about it. Your players aren't likely to be terribly familiar with it, unlike the Realms with have a sizeable fandom that will gripe if you get something wrong. Then go.

Uchawi

First Post
All you need is a map, an adventure, some passion and the understanding you will make mistakes (don't get bogged down in details). With all of that stated, pick the setting that sparks the most interest for you as a DM. Like anything we do in life the appropriate motivation and curiosity does wonders when trying out new things.

One other piece of advice I will add, whichever setting you pick, don't let anything published, official or not, tell you what must happen, did happen etc.

It's your variant of whatever setting you pick. If you choose Forgotten Realms and you don't want Neverwinter to be ruled by a council? Then it's not. Not for your campaign and your players.

Remove ads