D&D 4E What Should 4e magic be like?

With all the different books such as Expanded Psionics Handbook, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic, Races of Eberron, Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, Complete Psionics, Player's Handbook II, Tome of Battle, and many other books it seems like they're experimental with ways to change the magic system for 4e.

Granted I think in the core book they're going to try to keep it relatively simple, but allow room for expansion and more options without breaking the system too much to sell more books...

Things I noticed:
-Changes to how magic is been done, psionics is perhaps one of the first examples trying out power points, but they went further with incarnum, the warlock, and tome of magic.

-Themed or specialized spell lists (warmage, beguiler, dread necromancer), they realized that for a lot of classes the power lies in what they can get for spells. Maybe they'll try to use differences of domains or mantles to carry that farther as well.

-Repeatable unlimited use magic tricks. The warlock being the main example, with reserve feats being the next. I think they realized that some players are tired of having their characters run out of spells early.

-The possibility that it might be more fun that magic's for everyone. Tome of Battle effectively giving fighting characters 'spells', because face it using maneuvers is often more interesting than just, "I attack". Of course this might mean that some feats might become maneuvers.

-Psionic Focus, Stances, Combat Focus and more type abilities. It seems like they're toying around with special ongoing conditions that give modifiers. It could lead to a new model of how some spells work, and new types of abilities. Some spells also behave like gaining and expending psionic focus from Complete Mage and one of the Eberron supplements, where you gain some long-lasting constant effect, but can choose to do something more powerful by ending that effect.

-Combination spells, Complete Mage had a bunch of these. It seems like they want to push spell combos which stack up for special effects.

-Chanelled spells and psionic augmentation. I think they realized they simply don't want to deal with to much lesser and greater versions of the same spell.

My prediction is that there's going to be some sort of centralized casting mechanic, and then theme modifiers such as arcane, divine, psionic, song, martial and so on, that'll effect how the spells are cast and work in certain ways.

They might try to throw in things like magic rating from Unearthed Arcana, and maybe have a mechanic called 'potency' for things like spell damage dice.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not familiar with most of the books you list, nor the specific casting methods proposed; but my only overarching request for a magic system (be it 4e, a revised 3e, or whatever) is to somehow do away with pre-memorizing or preparing spells. It could be as simple as taking the Sorceror mechanic and applying it to all casters....

It'll probably never happen, but I can hope, can't I? :)

Lanefan

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
AJust warning you by now a whole new level of Flamewar goodnessis already on the way! But you knew that when you posted, right?

Seriously

A fast recharge per-encounter balanced model of magic that works and doesn't reduce the power of casters.

Ditch armored spell failure, I'm ready to eat the sacred hamburger.

More flexible magic: Some spells that were broken in two should be returned to reversible spells. Others should be consolidated into a more generic kind of attack that can be modified. Such as a ray with variable energy type, energy ball type, using AU as a model.

Fix the counterspelling problem. I want counterspelling to actually be useful in combat, make it an immediate action or something.

Give caster's some sort of arcane equivalent to BAB that unites magical attack and defense stats into one place and provides a single number.

Dump Vancian casting obviously.

Rework the spell schools and open up the class spellcasting lists more. There are some spells that need to go back to their old pre-revision schools.

There are certain things that need to change, polymorph has been nerfed and errata'd back into uselessness if you follow errata(I don't) go back toward the 3.0 model. Change darkness to actual darkness rather than "shadowy illumination."

Overall just make the casting classes less of a one-minute wonder. If fighters can attack all day casters need to cast all day.

MAKE SOME SENSE OUT OF THE SYMBOL SPELLS FINALLY

Droogie

Explorer
I'm fond of the Warlock mechanics and the True20 skill-based system. I'd like spell slots and the x-per-day mechanic to finally go away.

One man's opinion, of course.

drothgery

First Post
I think a psionics-style MP system is about as far you could go from Vancian slots and still keep the basic 'flavor' of D&D. And since I grew up playing video games based on that system, that's what I want for the core magic mechanic. The arcane/divine split would go awaay in Dave's Fantasy RPG, but it stays in Dungeons & Dragons.

Find some way of setting things up so multiclass spellcasters don't require PrC patches to be effective.

And just get rid of the whole concept of open-ended polymorphing and summoning spells. Also known as 'how to find obscure but shockingly effective ways to break the game'.

Remove ads