• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What SHOULD FLGS do?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Lord Mhoram said:
. . . but none of them understood retail.

I guess that is what I was getting at earlier. There are very few game store owners who I have met that 'get' the retail side of business. They're fine for basic financial stuff and balancing checkbooks but don't know much about basic supply and demand dynamics or product placement, promotion, etc.

jdrakeh said:
I guess that is what I was getting at earlier. There are very few game store owners who I have met that 'get' the retail side of business. They're fine for basic financial stuff and balancing checkbooks but don't know much about basic supply and demand dynamics or product placement, promotion, etc.

Yeah. I was just providing evidence. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Always be positive, no matter what your personal opinions of a particular game or line are.

That's a big thing in any line of business.

My Dad is an MD, and you'd be surprised how far my family will warp their vocabulary to avoid calling another medical "professional" a quack or charlatan...even if they deserve it.
Overpricing (from the consumer point of view) might be a necessary evil, but the storefront should look for ways to build value into their store through other methods (like many examples listed above).

Overpricing is in the eye of the beholder.

As I mentioned before, its very difficult (if not outright impossible) for independent game stores to compete head-to-head on cost with online retailers.

Discounting can vary in value too.

I know a very good game store that doesn't actually discount anything from cover price. However, its kind of cool to be able to buy a booster for an OoP CCG (or expansion) at its original price...often as low as half the cost of a current booster!

shaylon

First Post
I would like to see the following...

Store
-Clean store. Most of the ones in the area are dirty or dirtier than they need be.
-Updates every 10-15 years. Most stores in my area have old game posters on the walls, disgusting old furniture, and dirty walls that need to be painted.

Staff
-Friendly. I think this is a problem everywhere and I don't get it. Why would an owner put up with a staff full or jerks who treat the customers poorly? It doesn't make sense. I know there several people who refuse to go to certain gamestores because of this.
-Knowledgeable. I realize this can be difficult given the number of games out there but I am not talking about working knowledge of every single mechanic in every different system. It would be nice if they knew when things were coming out, how much they were going to cost, and could give a blurb about most anything in the store.

Stock
-My biggest complaint here is pricing for old stuff. They never lower or change the prices for anything! I know it isn't Amazon so I expect to pay full price for new books but the game stores in my area still feature D&D 3.0 splatbooks for full price. The same ones that have been on their shelves for years. There is another store that has a large stock of all the old WEG Star Wars books (used) for face value. I just don't get it. With online retailers and Ebay for older stuff why would anyone pay full price? Especially given that the books are several years old?

Gaming Area
-Clean. Again these are typically not very clean.
-D&D. Would it kill game stores to leave one or two of their 10+ tables available for actual roleplaying games and not Magic or minis?

These are a few of the things that I would like to see. I hate to be overly critical because I know that it is probably a tough business to be in but I think if they made a few improvements I could easily see myself visiting them more often, and spending more money there.

Note: The Bookery Fantasy in Fairborn Ohio (Dayton area) is hands down the best local game store I have been to but they are about an hour away from me.

-Shay

ejja_1

First Post
Im one of the lucky ones

My local game store is clean, friendly, personal, with tons of inventory and always willing to order if they don't already stock it. They have a huge gaming room in the back were most nights you can find a pick up game.
The store I am referring to is Games Plus in Mount Prospect Il.
If your ever in the area check them out!

Leftahead

First Post
Hi, folks-

This is an interesting thread, thanks.

What we have found at our store is that you start by asking what makes an inviting store, of any type, and then plugging in the product line(s). In our case that's comics, graphic novels, RPGs, and board games.

We're limited by high commercial rent in the size of our shop, but we try to provide play space for any who desire it and regular gaming events (we're hosting D&D Game Day this weekend and Free RPG Day in a couple weeks, frex.).

We do our best with the used games, but we're entirely at the mercy of folks bringing in collections on that, and the ease and ubiquity of eBay means that decent buys are relatively few and far between, most of what we see is trashed Rifts books and 1st edition Vampire. When we do get decent used stuff in, it sells pretty quickly, though, and we have a number of folks who regularly stop by just to check that section.

A spinner devoted to Small Press/Indie RPGs seems to be working well, and we stock as broadly as we can on core rules of many different systems without exposing ourselves to undue inventory risk.

The pricing problem, I'm afraid, has reached the point where those for whom price is a primary consideration won't ever shop with us no matter how nice we make the place. That's not evil or cosmically unjust or whatever, it just IS, and my crying about it won't change it.

A typical independent retail small business runs with a 5-10% profit margin or so... if we make a habit of giving even just 10% off on a regular basis, that means the money has to come from somewhere else if we want to turn a profit, and that means cutting back on all that 'value add' stuff that is supposed to make us an alternative. (Math aside: Please remember that 50-55% of the price you pay for an RPG book is our COST on that book... it costs me 15 bucks just to put a $30 book on the shelf without paying any other expenses. Every point of discount we hand out actually costs us TWO... a 20% discount means we've reduced our potential gain on that book by FORTY percent.)

Purchasing for the lowest possible price is a perfectly rational and utterly reasonable consumer decision and the only time anyone needs to apologize for it is when they committed an order that they bagged on because they found a lower price after the fact. But there are many consumers, and the trend seems to be growing, for whom local buying and 'sustainable' practices are an intangible (but significant) value-add, especially in our more progressive (or liberal if you prefer (heh)) neck of the woods.

We've found that by running the best possible store we can, one that feels like any other mainstream 'indie bookstore' to browsers, we create an environment where just enough regular gamers will cede to us those value-adds you have been discussing that the much less price-conscious NEW players, gift-giving relatives, and crossover comic customers who are already in the shop when the gaming urge strikes that it makes up for those more serious gamers who have pretty much migrated entirely to online venues because the only 'value add' they're concerned with is the volume of material any given dollar buys them.

Shops are not where most hardcore gamers buy their games, and haven't been for a while. The internet discounting model has paradoxically made those most serious of gamers into a new sort of FLGS 'casual' customer, who may drop in now and then simply because there's a bunch of games in one place and who can resist that even if you've already pre-ordered the full year's worth of upcoming releases?

I'm often struck by the thought that the only possible way to capture even a few dollars of those alpha gamers' bucks is to accept the fact that they're gone and adjust the model accordingly. Those who come back for a visit and see something they like might add a bit to the day's tally, but surviving until next YEAR means not trying to chase them to the detriment of the much BIGGER Potential audience: those who AREN'T currently seriously into gaming. IOW, there's a lot more people who DON'T read ENWorld than do, and they're a better bet to go after as customers if our shop wants to remain profitable.

(Oh, and the importance of a robust, well-organized and transparent Special order system that is easily referenced by the store's entire staff cannot be under emphasized in ANY small retail business, let alone one as specialized as ours...)

-Jim C.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
My FLGS doesn't exist, well not local. But I did ask at the local comic book store. He still has a poster up from the release of 3rd ed of D&D, so I asked if he would be carrying 4ed. he said he dropped all RPG years ago as there wasn't the demand, but he said he could order it for me.

And if I do decide to get 4ed, that is where I will get it. In spite of the fact that I could order it much cheaper from Amazon or Buy.com, I want to support a local merchant. I want to reward this man with my business. I am an infrequent customer of his, we go the mexican restaurant around the corner often and occasionally stop in. My daughter may buy a princess figurine from the vending machines or get a Little Mermmaid comic and my son usually gets a comic book. But this owner always helps us find age appropriate comics for my kids (the new ones are way too targeted for adults, Wonder Woman doesn't need DDs) and always finds something appropriate, even if he has to dig through twenty years of back issues.

So he'll be getting my business, even though he will have to order it, and I will have to pay full price. I am willing to pay for service.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Imperialus said:
I have an exceptional FLGS, I've bragged about it here before but hey I'll do it again.

www.sentrybox.com
You know, sometimes I hate living in Edmonton instead of bigger Canadian cities like Calgary and Vancouver and this is one of those times. The game stores in Edmonton just don't work hard enough, IMO.

I've been looking all over Edmonton for any store with a copy of Cults of Freeport and none of them do!!! And here I look on Sentry Box's website and it says they have a copy in stock.

Arrrggg!

And, no I can't travel all the way to Calgary just for a gaming book. I wish.

The reality is that there are very few stores in Edmonton that carry games and the main one (WARP) refuses to order in anything that they consider to be too much of a risk.

Since 4th Edition was announced, they decided that they weren't going to order in any third-party d20/3.5 products unless it was something from Paizo or another company they consider "big enough."

A lot of the staff at WARP don't even know the company I'm talking about when I mention Green Ronin. That just burns me! They consider Freeport to be a OOP game now!

They drive me crazy sometimes!

eyebeams

Explorer
Your game store is probably not unpleasant because they're bad people, or incompetent. Your game store is probably unpleasant because you, the RPG consumer, usually represent their least profitable segment, with the least crossovers between segments. Asking to be catered to specifically is kind of like demanding that a restaurant put sushi on the menu because I like it, even if it never sells to anybody else.

Part of the failure is also the industry's. It has pretty much given up on expanding its brand beyond core products outside of computer games and has failed to stake a wider place in the entertainment culture. This is a fancy way of saying almost anybody'll by a Spider-Man shirt for kitsch value, but nobody gives a crap about Tordek or Meepo. Since most game stores are actual comic/game/mediageek stores, this is important.

(Also, the broadly derivative nature of most RPG properties means that Hollywood has pretty much figured out it can file the serial numbers off of any RPG inspiration and use it without paying anybody.

The industry has also done a terrible job of educating store owners. You may complain that they don't know about this game or that, or get their facts wrong, but why should they know? It doesn't make them enough money. Knowing about Warhammer 40K's army lists counts for more. On the other hand, the scale of RPG sales is such that no company can necessarily afford to send really thorough kits to everybody. Hasbro could. Maybe White Wolf -- but who else?

By contrast, I'm think of the L5R re-release. A store manager I know went from knowing nothing about it to being really excited, because they sent a great kit and a FRICKIN' KATANA to hand out as a prize.

You have the right not to shop at ill-stocked stores with ill-informed employees, but this doesn't mean they don't have rational reasons for being that way.

So any solution would have to come from the industry taking store support more seriously, consumers indicating a real demand, *and* stores responding to these concerns.

The Lost Muse

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
The game stores in Edmonton just don't work hard enough, IMO.

I've been looking all over Edmonton for any store with a copy of Cults of Freeport and none of them do!!! And here I look on Sentry Box's website and it says they have a copy in stock.

Check out http://www.vesivus.com/

These guys are great, and although they may not have the game in stock, they'll get it and their service is just awesome.

Remove ads