• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should Giants really look like?

RangerWickett said:
This Sunday at dinner we attempted to calculate the amount of energy required to spontaneously create a human being. I think it was something like 9 x 10^18 joules. Fireballs are easy in comparison.

5 minutes and 9 months of waiting? :D

joe b.

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, to borrow a page from the Dragonriders of Pern, perhaps giants and some other large creatures have elements other than calcium as part of their bone content. For example, I recall that the dragons of Pern have boron as part of their skeletal structure. Possibly, giants might have boron or another element as part of their bone structure --- explaining why half-giants might require some magic to create.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
William Ronald said:
Well, to borrow a page from the Dragonriders of Pern, perhaps giants and some other large creatures have elements other than calcium as part of their bone content. For example, I recall that the dragons of Pern have boron as part of their skeletal structure. Possibly, giants might have boron or another element as part of their bone structure --- explaining why half-giants might require some magic to create.

Exactly, all the assumptions are based on a biology essentially identical to our own using identical materials. Once the materials start changing so do the engineering assumptions. For example giant insects, if they have the same biological construction as OUR insects implausible, but if their exoskeleton has more in common with an aramid like kevlar or a carbon-fiber like substance that's one less obstacle.

Basically I just assume the tags on conventionally implausible fantasy races aren't actually scientific descriptions just common names. Yes they call them giant insects because that's what they most resemble. But if a scientist disected one he'd put them in some totally new order because of new and strange design features.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads