What should I do at Origins Game Fair 2024

Celebrim

Legend
Sell me on the best events...

The best GMs...

The best games or game systems to try...

The most fun things you did in the past.

bayonetbrant

Explorer
I've played in a few RPGs at Origins, but these days (like, the last 10 years) I've been running the wargaming program there, so it's all tabletop wargaming all the time for me anymore.

That said, if you want a cool RPG/wargaming crossover, check out our Command Post Exercises, which are a co-op event where the players are running a command post during a battle while our team offer some coaching on how to do it. You learn the different roles in the command post, work up a plan for your mission, and then the game starts. And on turn 2, when the plan goes to hell, our coaches will look at you and ask "OK, commander - now what?" as you adjust on-the-fly from there.
4 hour event and seats still open for WED night, THU/FRI both mid-day.

Retreater

Legend
Hey, I'll be there too!

Anyways, we had fun with the following...

1) Grab some generic tickets for something like 2 Rooms and a Bomb or Werewolf. There are lots of social deduction games you can drop in during in the evening.
2) Walk the exhibitor floor and look at exciting new products.
3) Go to the taco bar across the street and get a margarita for lunch.
4) Don't ignore workshops and seminars.
5) Don't overbook yourself. (I can handle 1-2 games a day.)
6) Sign up for True Dungeon if it's still available.

If you can get into one of Brendan LaSalle's DCC games, he's a phenomenal judge.
Agree with @Retreater on the seminars and workshops. This year it looks like Luke Gygax is even presenting one.
North Market, even with the construction, is well worth checking out.
If you're into old toys and tchotchkes, there's a small but packed shop called Big Fun Columbus nearby.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I usually end up spending most of my time hanging out in the board room, and I’ll probably do that again this year. Someone is going to be running High Frontier, though we don’t know if he’ll be doing it in the board room or as an actual event. I’d like to play a full game of that.

(I’d wanted to get into one of the Shadowdark games, but I never bothered to sign up for any events when it opened, and I doubt there are any open at this point.)

Celebrim

Legend
(I’d wanted to get into one of the Shadowdark games, but I never bothered to sign up for any events when it opened, and I doubt there are any open at this point.)

There are a surprising number of RPG events still open - I put that down to too many hosts putting up considerable fees for their time combined with a relative lack of interest in the new systems that have come out - but you are right, there are no Shadowdark games left.

Celebrim

Legend
Well, that went OK... and also not OK.

It's really frustrating how difficult it is to find good GMs or for that matter even GMs that accurately explain the experience that they intend to run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads