D&D 4E What should the next new official campaign setting for 4e be like?

SSquirrel

Explorer
I'd like to see a setting that has a prehistoric ice age kind of world, kinda like the movie 10,000 BC.

*shudder* That movie was terrible. Not to mention things like wooly mammoths making the pyramids. WTF!? heh. It was entertaining for a couple of hours I suppose tho.

1) New IP.

2) No poofters! (heh)

3) New IP.

4) Honestly they can do anything they please, just give me something I haven't seen a million times. I mean yes, I loved Spelljammer. Planescape had some really cool stuff to it. The Dragonlance novels were pretty awesome, altho actually running games in Krynn was kinda dull. Midnight is a killer setting, but is completely like the anti-4E with it's whole concept. It isn't even points of light, it's all dark and clouds are quickly covering up the moonlight too :)

5) Ninja Pirates of Dino Island vs Zombie Apocalypse?

6) Hello Kitty Adventure Island :)

Mummolus

First Post
Not bad at all.

I would also probably go for a Norse themed setting or a setting consisting of places modeled after ancient civilizations like Egypt, Greece, Rome, Babylon, Atlantis, etc, kinda like Conan's Hyboria.
The "modelled after ancient civilizations" theme is pretty much how Dark Sun works - each city-state is inspired by an ancient real-world counterpart. Tyr is Phoenician, Raam is Egyptian, Urik is Babylonian, Balic is Roman, Draj is Aztec, Nibenay is Chinese and Gulg is African.

delericho

Legend
Of the existing settings, my pick would be Spelljmmer. Ravenloft would be a close second.

However, I do think there's limited mileage in just reissuing all the old material - surely by this point most people who are really interested already have conversions in place?

That being the case, I feel they should do an entirely new setting - or even just lay off on the settings for the time being. (Although, with Neverwinter being part of FR, that's kinda what they're already doing...)

aco175

Legend
I'd be happy with an expanded Nentir Vale that had some things I could use to homebrew. I guess I'm more of a Western Europe Middle-Ages player and dm, but all I want is something to make planning time easier and faster that will allow for better games.

Come out with NV as an overview and a couple module size books detailing some regions/kingdoms. Have adventure sites that are planned for product release and others that are only hinted at, or left blank for the dm to do whatever they want with. It would be cool if Wizards allowed these sites to be available online for free, allowing other dms to donate their ideas to share, making other dm's life easier along the way.

It seems that most campaigns that I play take over a year to play in and through. If they had the NV available as regions than each region can be a new campaign or even the same ones can be better fleshed out with follow on books that provide new campaign ideas.

I guess my ideal book for 30 bucks would be a kingdom sized part of land that I can drop into my world and not have to change much, ie western europe. It would provide a partially detailed town or two. Several dungeon areas more or less like the Delve format that I can add to if wanted. Several more adventure sites with only a few paragraphs of story. Options to buy a few more follow on books/modules that tie in with sites or towns if I want.

VGmaster9

Explorer
The "modelled after ancient civilizations" theme is pretty much how Dark Sun works - each city-state is inspired by an ancient real-world counterpart. Tyr is Phoenician, Raam is Egyptian, Urik is Babylonian, Balic is Roman, Draj is Aztec, Nibenay is Chinese and Gulg is African.

What about a Greek themed city state?

moxcamel

Explorer
Not to de-rail the topic at hand, but I thought I'd mention that there are a lot of 3rd party publications that could easily be used to build a 4e campaign world. The great thing about "worlds" is that they're almost 100% fluff. Any world-specific mechanics could easily be figured out, if not on your own, then a quick post here on ENWorld.

For instance, I'm thinking about putting together an old-world Russia style campaign. I'm using GURPS Russia and recently found out that the Ussura (the 7th Sea equivalent of Russia) nation book is available in PDF on Drive Thru. With just those two books, most of my work is done already. :)

Remove ads