What Sort of Acid in an Acid Flask?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay we have the Acid Flask and we have

Aqua Fortis - Nitric Acid

Spirit of Salt - Hydrochloric Acid

Aqua Vitriolis - Sulphuric acid

Aqua Regia - Mix of Nitric & Hydrochloric Acid

All these where known to the medieval alchemist and thus are usable imho.

However

Aqua Fortis was the easiest to make (by distilling together saltpetre (potassium nitrate) and vitriol or alum) as it did not need corrosion resistant apparatus.

Aqua Fortis also gives off toxic fumes in moist air and many materials are susceptible to spontaneous combustion due to contact with Nitric Acid including oily rags, dust accumulations, and many organic materials (most of us will know about the volatility of nitroglycerin). Skin contact results in severe irritation and burns

Ergo can I use a flask of Aqua Fortis as a molotov cocktail or other explosive?

pontus

First Post
Real world physics and chemistry do not really apply in D&D (just look at the falling speeds). All you have is a bottle of liquid capable of inflicting damage of the Acid Energy Type.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Ok, setting aside the fact that DND has little/no relationship with the real world.

Since the acid in an acid flask can damage both organics (critters) and inorganics (constructs), I would say that the acid contained within would be Sulfuric Acid.

Both Nitric and Hydrochloric have the downside that they won't effectively damage organic molecules. At least not on any kind of 6-second interval.

However, since this is all pretty pointless anyway, I will just go ahead and say that acid flasks contain just about any acid you would care to name, all mixed together. With the obvious exception of HF, after all, there is no save vs. Con damage.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The stuff in an acid flask is nondescript corrosive. It need not actually be what a real chemist would call an acid - the corrosive breath of a green dragon is listed as "acid" damage, when traditionally it's seen as chlorine gas, not a chemical acid.

I would vote against making it more descript - especially if that description gives notable benefits like making the stuff an effective explosive. You aren't supposed to get extra bennies for free :) You want explosive, use Alchemists Fire. You want both, you pay a really good alchemist lots of money for it.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Also, do not forget that:

1) In D&D, there are not 103 base elements (Hydrogren through whatever #103 is), there are 4 (Water, fire, earth, and air).

2) D&D alchemists have access to some things that we do not: substances that make poisons, acids, potions, etc. After all, you don't go around asking "What kind of poison would Greeblood Oil REALLY be?" - it's Greenblood Oil! Or Demon Ichor, or Carrion Crawler Brain juice, etc.

3) For all we know, the acid is actually an acid called Spirits of Dyazan, and could have a recipe like so:
Mix equal parts of carrion crawler brain juice and aqua regia, and boil over a low flame. When chromatic bubbles form on the surface, add 4 drops of Goblin blood and a crystalline sediment will form. Decant through a tube filled with ice-cold water, and let set for 45 minutes. Voila! 1 flask of Spirits of Dyazan. :)

Vaxalon

First Post
Precisely! Keep RWS (real world science) out of DnD.

Now, on occasion, I have had my players ask me, "Do I know of any way we can easily produce powdered silver (to create holy water) from massive silver (some ingots) alchemically?"

I rolled some dice, and told them "Yes, you use a vial of acid to dissolve the silver, then you take the resulting solution and react it over a low flame with iron. A fine silver powder will result." This solution worked for me; it involved using up some resources and making a skill check.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Henry said:
In D&D, there are not 103 base elements (Hydrogren through whatever #103 is), there are 4 (Water, fire, earth, and air).

If that's what the DM wants. Some prefer to have a more realistic world, whereas others like to have a flat world with stars set in a crystal sphere. Everyone does it their own way...

Personally, I have 4 elements, but not everyone works that way.

Remove ads