What Sort of Acid in an Acid Flask?

Number47

First Post
You think the acid thing is bad? Then you tell your players that the "antitoxin" that sells in the Players Handbook cannot possibly be effective against every possible poison.

Fade

First Post
Conc. nitric will not burn or explode. With a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acids its very easy to make lots of things that will explode quite happily, but thats outside the scope of D&D. And takes more than 6 seconds.

Nitric acid does react with organic substances - I know, I've spilt some.

MythandLore

First Post
Magic Acid for a Magic Acid Flask. :)

"Hey Bubba, what kinda magic flask is that?"
"A acid flask"
"What kind of acid?"
"Magic Acid"
"Umm... Cool"

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Well ...... painting solvent.

Paint solvent/thinner is not an acid. Depending on the type and grade you get, it's usually either toluene or methylene chloride.

Both of those are organic solvents that don't affect inorganics to any significant degree.

However, the funny thing about DnD acid is that it dissolves magical ceramics (clay golems) but not mundane ceramics (the clay jug it's stored in).

graydoom

First Post
I'd tend to think it would be sulfuric acid... but it is D&D, after all. The best thing to call it just "acid"... with D&D, you can't necessarily make a real-life connection to everything.

Xarlen

First Post
I use a little science in my game (Considering how a player is a professor of Physics, it's sorta implied).

Anyways, first a Duh thing. WHen there's enough dust, hay, or powder in the air, if a spark goes off, there's an explosion (think Grain Silo going Boom now and then).

But the rules varient thing that I have is this: You cast an electricity spell in water, it's area of effect doubles.

Used to, it was 'Cast lightning bolt in water, the impact point is affected by 20' radius'. Lightning bolts no longer have impact point, thus it makes more sense that if you shoot a 5' swath into the water, it becomes a 10' swath.

nameless

First Post
While I don't know about the effects of Aqua Regia on organics, I do know that Aqua Regia was known to medieval alchemists, and so names because it was the "king" of acids. Regia is very strong, and is so caustic that you need a special container to even hold it (wax, maybe?). Similar in strength, though maybe impossible to manufacture, is Hydrofluoric acid (HF).

I don't really know where Fluorine exists naturally, but I'd guess it could be found in salts, similar to table salt. If an alchemist added a Fluorine salt to water, and made the water hot enough, the H would bind to F, and the Metal (probably Na) would combine with O. I don't know how hot that needs to be, but magic can be wonderful stuff =P.

-nameless

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases