• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what spells do you use

Olive

Explorer
Tranzquility said:
after a while if you interduce spells from almost every D&D book it could get out of control verry easy....

In what sense? The wizard can't actually prepare anymore of those spells that she could if she only had 15 spells. So why is it a problem?

fafhrd

First Post
I generally give out non-core spells as treats. When I ran the Standing Stone for example, I had the menhirs contain a variety of druid spells from the Complete Divine. I was amazed to find that the druid's player, usually an item queen, was content to take a small share of the loot just because she was so happy to have access to the new spells. It was thematically relevant and allowed me to tailor a list. In Nightfang Spire, our current module, I subbed in a few things I liked from Libris Mortis. I think the party wizard will be happy - should he survive. :]

the Jester

Legend
I usually dm, so I pull from everything.

My pc in a friend's epic game is an alienist/planeshifter, so I use a lot of MotP stuff... and some weirder homebrewed stuff. Really, her most used spells are greater teleport, plane shift and sending ("Can I talk to the king?" "No." "I cast sending to the king.")

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I use spells from the 3.5 PHB, the different Dragonlance books and select ones from Draconomicon and Libris Mortis.

I prefer to keep the number of spells in game as low as possible while still giving some variety.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Olive said:
In what sense? The wizard can't actually prepare anymore of those spells that she could if she only had 15 spells. So why is it a problem?

For the same reason that you don't want to add every feat or prestige class from every book you have, because you lose track, and have to learn a lot of new stuff.

Campaigns are better (IMO) when new material is added in small doses.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Olive said:

For the same reason why Type I Magic: the Gathering environments are so messy. The more spells out there, the more outlandish combinations there are to make things TOO easy for the PC's. (Or too impossible for them, if the DM uses them instead). Not saying it's wrong or couldn't be managed, but some DM's don't want the headache.

Voadam

Legend
My wizard EK has used lots from the PH, thunderlance from FRCS (I love the 20' reach combined with combat reflexes), magnetism from Oriental Adventures, a bunch from Tome and Blood, a bunch from Complete Book of Eldritch Might, and War Mastery from Quintessential Wizard (gives you a temporary fighter bonus feat). I'm trying to get some spells from Into the Blue by Bastion Press approved by the DM since I keep ending up going into water.

Tranzquility

First Post
Olive said:

okay say you take every spell from the PHB (arcane spells only)
then every spell from the book of the undead (arcane only again)
then every spell from a campain such as fr (arcane only)
then every spell from the book of vile darkness (arcane only)
okay now i want you to make a spell sheet listing all these spells that is very
useable and then i want you to try to use them in a game. I doubt you could keep track of all of them in game with say a level 15-20 wizard........

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads