D&D (2024) What stuff from 3.5e/3e/2e/1e/od&d should go into 5.5e?

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
What I'd like to see come back is the spell school listings on Magic Items. 3/3.5 listed the schools in the item descriptions and it was very helpful.

So many times my players cast "Detect Magic" and then want me to let them know which schools they detect coming off any items that glow. Amulet of Health - abjuration? transmutation? something else? a combination?

That, or take the line out from the spell description that indicates that it reveals the school of magic. Simply have it glow, then use Identify for the details.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
I've -really- been coming around to this way of thinking... But also having a different value for creatures by type.

So Humanoids would stop at 10, Dragons at 20, Aberrations at 12, Giants at 10, Beasts at 5... Different stopping points by creature type.

Bonus points: It also means short rests in high level games are both more potent (Fewer HP to restore) but also less available (Less HD to spend).

... actually... you know what could be really cool? Gaining Hit Dice at Even numbered levels and just +Con bonus at Odd numbered levels.

That would really preserve some squishiness for Risk/Reward and avoid the feeling of a level 10 "Plateau". Would also keep enemies dangerous at practically all levels, when combined with bounded accuracy...
I think what might be nice is capping HP on level-up at 10 but still getting new hit-dice as you level up so while your HP are functionally higher they don't get higher in individual battles.

A lack of risk for a high level character is a major issue, though.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
Who even does high level games?

I see it as a non-issue.
I mean, I think the real solution is to mash all the abilities classes have right now into the first 10 levels (rebalancing spells so your highest spell level is equal to your character level) and then make levels 11+ into just more uses per long rest for the stuff you already have.

Remove ads