What system would you run Assassin's Creed in?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I've given the GM the link to this thread, so hopefully he'll take a look at what you all recommend.

I don't know if it changes anyone's recommendations but in talking to the GM yesterday he was hoping the game focus would not be on group combat but rather quick focused strikes, then fading into the shadows. And each player would have a specific specialty (poison, the brains, knife throwing, etc.) that would give them the spotlight depending on the type of assassination that was being done.

I'm a little worried about the PCs stepping on each other's toes since we're all filling in the same role but the GM knows his stuff, so I'm willing to try it out.

Gundark

Explorer
Hmmm well it is a crunchier game, but Fantasycraft. The Assassin class in the game was HEAVILY inspired by the Assassin's creed series.

Imaro

Legend
I'm going to suggest Mongoose Runequest and recommend that you also take a look at the Deus Vult Campaign setting. It is basically Assasin's Creed with monsters and black magic mixed in.

Krensky

First Post
I'll second Fantasy Craft. The Assassin clas is heavily inspired by the games and the class structure gives you lots of room to build all sorts of operatives with all sorts of specialities.

Lenny J

First Post
My group is wrapping up our current campaign and everyone's throwing their hats into the ring for what game to play next. One of the group offered to run an Assassin's Creed type of game using either Savage Worlds or FATE as the ruleset.

I might throw out 7th Sea as another option but I'm not very familiar with AC so it may not be a good match. Do you all have any suggestions for a system to run it in? And why would you choose that system? Thanks for your insights!

An important note: You need to be familiar with Assassin's Creed in heavy detail for something like that to work. Not only that, but you should also know the respective system inside-out and backwards. I was considering running an AC game and spent a lot of time thinking of systems to use and came up with a few choices.

1. Shadowrun has a decent system... if you know how to run it. From my experience, missing a single rule lets the system just fall to pieces. This goes back to the knowing the system inside-out and backwards. It's a great system for Assassin's Creed simply by the way the stats and skills work, and the design of the character sheet. Both of these resemble a very animus-esque style. The damage being a damage track that reduces your checks. Because it is assassin's creed, you would have to find a way to throw out / change the races that aren't Human. Then throw out rules for spell casting and the matrix since you wouldn't need them... All of this being said; It is, again in my experience, Hard to learn. I mean it, it takes some time, and I still don't properly know the system. The sessions I've played in have sucked, but I hear with a good DM and the right rules its pretty fun

2. Call of Cthulhu. The Pros: It's a neat system and definitely unique and realistic. The Cons: It is a very Niche system and is almost exclusively Horror unless you really​ rework some stuff and you're an expert to the system. I would not recommend this.

3. The other option I found is a system called Genesys. Here's the catch: It's not out yet. It's made by Fantasy Flight and most of their games turn out great. Essentially it is their Star Wars RPG System which seems very underplayed, but it can be played in any setting with stats for things non-starwars (since their rulebooks respectively are strictly starwars. It is, by all means, a great system, and the same system. The dice are exactly the same. The system is built less on the concept of Health Points and Damage, and more on the narrative side. You have special dice with symbols. Both positive dice and negative dice have counterparts. Symbols are Success, Advantage, Failure, Threat; and then there is Triumph and Despair for your crit and crit fail. Successes cancel Failures, Advantages cancel Threats, but Triumphs and Despairs do not cancel each other. The idea is pretty simple afterwards. Cancel out symbols until you have a pool of dice symbols, then those symbols are spent to do things like succeed your check, but its used as narrative aid. for example, a failure with 3 advantages could allow me to instead disarm the enemy.It's a really cool system and I implore you to check it out. It is also relatively easy to learn, but its pricey. If you ever plan on running a game in the starters universe you have to use their system. They actually work with destiny so the things printed in their books are as close to canon as you can get. It's the canon tabletop essentially.

For my campaign I will be using Genesys. (Unless I can learn Shadow-Run really well.)

I hope this helped.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
An important note: You need to be familiar with Assassin's Creed in heavy detail for something like that to work. Not only that, but you should also know the respective system inside-out and backwards. I was considering running an AC game and spent a lot of time thinking of systems to use and came up with a few choices.

1. Shadowrun has a decent system... if you know how to run it. From my experience, missing a single rule lets the system just fall to pieces. This goes back to the knowing the system inside-out and backwards. It's a great system for Assassin's Creed simply by the way the stats and skills work, and the design of the character sheet. Both of these resemble a very animus-esque style. The damage being a damage track that reduces your checks. Because it is assassin's creed, you would have to find a way to throw out / change the races that aren't Human. Then throw out rules for spell casting and the matrix since you wouldn't need them... All of this being said; It is, again in my experience, Hard to learn. I mean it, it takes some time, and I still don't properly know the system. The sessions I've played in have sucked, but I hear with a good DM and the right rules its pretty fun

2. Call of Cthulhu. The Pros: It's a neat system and definitely unique and realistic. The Cons: It is a very Niche system and is almost exclusively Horror unless you really​ rework some stuff and you're an expert to the system. I would not recommend this.

3. The other option I found is a system called Genesys. Here's the catch: It's not out yet. It's made by Fantasy Flight and most of their games turn out great. Essentially it is their Star Wars RPG System which seems very underplayed, but it can be played in any setting with stats for things non-starwars (since their rulebooks respectively are strictly starwars. It is, by all means, a great system, and the same system. The dice are exactly the same. The system is built less on the concept of Health Points and Damage, and more on the narrative side. You have special dice with symbols. Both positive dice and negative dice have counterparts. Symbols are Success, Advantage, Failure, Threat; and then there is Triumph and Despair for your crit and crit fail. Successes cancel Failures, Advantages cancel Threats, but Triumphs and Despairs do not cancel each other. The idea is pretty simple afterwards. Cancel out symbols until you have a pool of dice symbols, then those symbols are spent to do things like succeed your check, but its used as narrative aid. for example, a failure with 3 advantages could allow me to instead disarm the enemy.It's a really cool system and I implore you to check it out. It is also relatively easy to learn, but its pricey. If you ever plan on running a game in the starters universe you have to use their system. They actually work with destiny so the things printed in their books are as close to canon as you can get. It's the canon tabletop essentially.

For my campaign I will be using Genesys. (Unless I can learn Shadow-Run really well.)

I hope this helped.

Thanks for the suggestions! The GM who wanted to run the AC game never actually ran it. Our group put our roleplaying on hold for the time being due to limited availability but if he ever dusts off the idea, I'll pass the recommendations along!

FATE springs to mind, definitely. If the plan is to involve the Animus and split between the past and present, a modified version of The Strange could fit with that quite nicely.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
1. Give the players either a meeting point i.e. their parents have all been tortured then killed and with cryptic notes left behind they meet the only surviving Assassin of their parents Order/Guild.
2. Objective could be of course simple revenge or to stop the killers from obtaining some forgotten mystical object like in the recent film the Apple of Eden or a weapon like the Spear of Destiny or the Shroud of some unknown Healer from Christs bloodline and etcetera.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Thanks for the suggestions! The GM who wanted to run the AC game never actually ran it. Our group put our roleplaying on hold for the time being due to limited availability but if he ever dusts off the idea, I'll pass the recommendations along!

Good, because the game I was going to recommend isn't actually available yet. But the AC movie trailer made the concept look weirdly sci-fi, so you might try something o.l.d. and n.e.w. . .

Remove ads