• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Systems Exist These Days?

Punnuendo

First Post
And there are tons of small press games currently in production like Houses of the Blooded, Cold City, Spirit of the Century, Colonial Gothic and the like. Just going to the Indie Press Revolution online store offers a huge array of in-print gaming systems.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ars Magica had a new supplement last week, Hedge Magic. I haven't seen anything in print for Toon for a long time. I'm not too sure what is/isn't happening with Rolemaster or Dying Earth.

Don't forget about Savage Worlds, Shadowrun, Runequest, L5R, d6, Warhammer and Dark Heresy. All have these have had new print releases within the past couple months.

Add to that Cortex, Modern20, Earthdawn 2nd edition, Spycraft 2.0.

Yair

Community Supporter
Ars Magica had a new supplement last week, Hedge Magic.

Just to dispell any possible misconception: this is not a one-time supplement, Ars Magica has a continuous and regular support from its publisher (Atlas Games), with a new product at each Quarter for years now.

Dumnbunny

Explorer
FUDGE has been mentioned, and while FATE originated with FUDGE, from where I'm sitting FATE v3 differs enough from FUDGE to warrant it's own entry in the list.

I'd also add Burning Wheel to the list, though I'd probably lump all three variants (Burning Wheel, Burning Empires and Mouse Guard) into the same entry, maybe with sub-entries.

As for the synopsis andozane requested, I need to get back to work, but I should have a chance to bang something out tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Bagpuss

Legend
From Fantasy Flight Games
Dark Heresy - Warhammer 40K RPG
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG
Grimm RPG

Eden Studio's Unisystem
most recently it is used in is Ghosts of Albion RPG which has yet to hit the streets. They do have other games that I suspect are still in print, such as All Flesh Must Be Eaten and Conspiracy X. Although I'm not sure what position the company is in since Ghost of Albion was due in hardcopy in September according to their site, but no mention of it actually appearing yet. Seems they are having trouble getting some things to print since City of Heroes is suffering massive delays along with some other titles. Things are ready as they are available in PDF however from Drivethrurpg.

The Impossible Dream produce
Dread - You know the RPG that uses Jenga for it's task resoultion that won an ENnie in 2006. I imagine it's still in print, but its a single book system, doesn't really need supplements. (Not a great idea for producing a revenue stream really).

Hero System I'm pretty sure is still in print and well supported. Fantasy Hero was just reprinted for example.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Just to dispell any possible misconception: this is not a one-time supplement, Ars Magica has a continuous and regular support from its publisher (Atlas Games), with a new product at each Quarter for years now.
Yep, and they keep getting better and better!

I've been collecting Ars Magica supplements since 2nd edition and can't praise Atlas high enough for their consistently high quality! They're a pleasure to read even though I haven't played the game for several years now.

For example in the last supplement on magical traditions the chapter on House Jerbiton included the most insightful and thought-provoking treatise I've ever read on illusion magic.

Ahem, anyway, back on topic:
There's still an amazing number of systems on the market. I no longer have the time to look into many new systems, but they're definitely out there. D20 definitely isn't everything.

Remove ads