What Systems Exist These Days?

GreatLemur

Explorer
In addition to Aus Snow's excellent suggestion, I can recommend John H. Kim's awesome RPG Encyclopedia. It is absurdly huge, includes forgeign language stuff, and even describes a little about the setting and system of most games.

But, yeah, as everyone's been pointing out, there are enough systems out there now that it's almost pointless to try to list them all. There are new ones being made constantly, and there are ever-branching subspecies of each major one. It's a beautiful time to be a gamer.

So I think the question here becomes "Why do you need such a list?" Is there anything in particular you're looking for, or do you just want to get an overview of the whole hobby as it stands today?

Scribble

First Post
So I think the question here becomes "Why do you need such a list?" Is there anything in particular you're looking for, or do you just want to get an overview of the whole hobby as it stands today?

Pretty much the second... Or more precisely, because it was 4:30 on a wednesday afternoon, and I was bored. :)

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Rolemaster and Spacemaster are both still in print with new books being developed, and ICE is still selling books from older editions.

Not to mention, of course, that HARP is still in-print and HARP Sci-Fi is due for release any day now. My company's got a third party campaign setting for the latter that should launch within a couple months.

edit: Shadowrun's on its Fourth Edition, and this one is actually much more suitable for adaptation for other genres and settings.

Last edited:

Remove ads