• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the Heck was I Thinking?!? (Conan Rpg)

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
I placed an order with my FLGS two weeks ago for the Conan rpg. I was pretty excited and picked it up yesterday. After a quick, first readthrough, it seemed pretty nice.
Today, I start looking over the internet and what do I see: The Conan rpg has more errors and mistakes than pretty much any book out there. Damn! I spent $50 for this?!?
I wanted to give Mongoose a chance since I haven't really bought much of their stuff (the Q. Barbarian and a few Slayer's Guides). After this though, I 'll seriously have to reconsider. It really makes me appreciate two things: One-The companies that do spend a little extra time and do things the right way and Two-I've gotten the opportunity to playtest and proofread for a company and I can now see the importance of such jobs. I will definitely take the jobs a little more seriously. Expensive lesson, though... :(

Crothian

First Post
Not yet. Matt Sprange, owner of Mongoose, has said it will be coming soon. They know they made some huge mistakes in this book, and a second printing will be happening at some point. Matt is doing a lot of things in house to make sure this never happens again.

Although it's also been a big hit here in our own d20 games forum and on the rpg.net forums. Error proofing is good and all, but apparently not necessary for a really product. :confused:

Although I'm waiting for the second printing.

Krieg

First Post
The most glaring is a mass replacement of "lb" with "lb." throughout the book.

Thus "bulbous" would become "bulb.ous".

Edit: Replaced a spelling error of my own! Doh!

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
EricNoah said:
Can you give us some examples of the kinds of problems in this book?
One example is that a poleaxe is a pollaxe throughout the book. There are a couple of threads on Mongoose's forums about the errata.

Gothmog

First Post
Morpheus said:
One example is that a poleaxe is a pollaxe throughout the book. There are a couple of threads on Mongoose's forums about the errata.

Actually, "pollaxe" isn't a typo, thats how Howard spelled it in his stories. I have come across a few grammatical typos, but nothing mechanically so far. In spite of its editorial problems, Conan is a really solid product, and much more exciting and inspired than most of the stuff that has been released in recent years.

Vigilance

Explorer
I found the book mechanically pleasing. As someone who is a mechanics geek, I thought it was solid as a rock.

So, while the book has some editing mistakes, I certainly would not go so far as to regret purchasing it.

Chuck

Remove ads