D&D 5E What Theme Appeals The Most?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. I've picked up some new players who kind of got stuck with what the current players chose.

I let the players pick the theme, that theme usually decides what's available.

Drow
Eberron
Greek
Undead (Midgard)
Vikings (Midgard)

No flyers regardless, with a 6 person party probably no pet classes either.

Drow would be the most restrictive, Eberron least restrictive. Warforged for example are available in 2/5 Eberron and Undead Midgard.

The Drow game would be reclaiming Maerimydra. What society or deity they build is up to theme.

aco175

Legend
Are you asking what we on these boards think appeal to us, or you asked the new players and they decided?

I would pick Eberron from this list since I never player in that world. I never player Midgard either, but would rather a 5e game or D&D in general over the others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd be tempted to try the Vikings Midgard setting, I've got the 5e books for midgard and I think it would be a great setting to explore. Otherwise, Greek could be cool if it is epic adventures following the old Greek myths. I've never played an all drow game before, which could also be interesting.

Zardnaar

Legend
Are you asking what we on these boards think appeal to us, or you asked the new players and they decided?

I would pick Eberron from this list since I never player in that world. I never player Midgard either, but would rather a 5e game or D&D in general over the others.

Midgard is a 5E setting.

Just wondering what the board thinks of these options. Curious as to what would be popular.

My group so far voted

1 for undead
1 for Mycenaean Greek.

MarkB

Legend
What I'd pick from that list is purely down to my personal taste and recent experiences, and so wouldn't be relevant to anyone else, including me six months from now.

I don't particularly want to play a Drow or undead right now, I'm already in an Eberron game, and I played a Viking game relatively recently. So right now I'd choose Greek, but only through a process of elimination - not due to it having any particular appeal to me.

I like drow (maybe Eilistraee and Vhaeraun come in to power again, but that's only if you're playing FR--though you could of course mix it up).

Speaking of mixing, hwo about drow in a Viking/Midgard setting?

Zardnaar

Legend
I like drow (maybe Eilistraee and Vhaeraun come in to power again, but that's only if you're playing FR--though you could of course mix it up).

Speaking of mixing, hwo about drow in a Viking/Midgard setting?

Drow don't really exist in Midgard.

There's a sidebar where you can add them but bothered very few.

delericho

Legend
I'd be happy to play any, but would probably go for Eberron as my preference.

That said, with the right group of players I would leap on a Drow campaign.

Remathilis

Legend
Not enough information.

"Drow" doesn't tell me enough. Are you going for Forgotten Realms intra-house political drama, a splinter group of good drow aiming to overthrow Lolth, or what? EDIT: OK, its a rebel game, missed that.

Eberron is a setting, not a theme. A pulpy trip to Xen'drik is very different than solving a crime-mystery in Sharn. Eberron can support exploration, mystery, horror, swashbuckling, noir, and intrigue; what are you proposing?

I don't know anything about Midgard, but vikings sounds similar to drow; what are you doing with it: raiders, defending the homeland, preventing Ragnarok, etc. Undead is somehow moreso: are you PLAYING as undead, fighting them Castlevania style, etc.

The Greek sounds interesting, but like the other, overly board. You going for Jason, Theseus, Odessyius, of what? It might be a good place to get some used out of the Theros book though...

Given absolutely no context (and lacking any real experience with Midgard) I'd go with Eberron because I could come up with at least a half-dozen ideas that could fill most anything the DM throws at us.

Remove ads