D&D General What To Call A Gish?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, recently I made a second version of my homebrew swordmage, which I've attached.

I like it so far, it's got good bones, especially for a rewrite that I did in a single 5-hour hyper-focus session.

The concept is a mystic or esoteric warrior whose defense is partly magical and partly a matter of analysis or awareness of their surroundings, who bonds a ritual weapon or makes themselves a weapon, reaching beyond what a mundane warrior can do. It's a rewrite both of the swordmage and the monk, using elements of both to solve eachother's problems.

But what the hell should I call it?

I've got a few words I really would love to conjugate into something useful as a proper noun.

Ritual knives of western hermetic mysticism: atheme, athame, artavo, artavus, arthana, artanus, arthany or arthame

Magic of enchanting items, or just a cool word for magic, or a word for dwarf magic: Dweomer, dweomercraeft, or the noun dweomerlak, maybe dweomerlock?

Central to the class, and referring to protection, as in "under the aegis of"; aegis.

My goal is to find a solid single word name. Failing that, might as well stick with swordmage.

Thoughts? Further suggestions?

Attachments

• Swordmage 2.0.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 148

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
How about Dualist?

It's a pun but also literal. They wield physical weapons and magic simultaneously, and their fighting style is in the vein of what we think of as a "duelist" (e.g., a fencer).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
How about Dualist?

It's a pun but also literal. They wield physical weapons and magic simultaneously, and their fighting style is in the vein of what we think of as a "duelist" (e.g., a fencer).
Part of the inspiration is occult-influenced swordmasters, especially of the Magic Circle school. This isn’t a bad take.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases