What to do when the double-cross is expected?

Grymar

Explorer
The party recently took a job from a guy who they know is untrustworthy, but they took it since the pay was so good. The job was a simple "go here and get the money" type of job. Now they are fully expecting him to double cross them and try to take it all, either by ambushing them on the way back to his place or by jumping them once they arrive.

Here's the thing...yeah, they are right. He was going to. This tells me that I've done a few too many double-crosses in the game. If they expect it every time, then it no longer is fun or interesting.

But I now have to decide if I should go through with it or not. I'm very tempted to have him play it straight, take his share of the money, thank them for their fine work, and send them on their way. They'll walk out of there so paranoid that they won't have a good night's sleep for a month.

What do you think? Continue with the double-cross or not?

meomwt

First Post
Oh yeah - have them jumped when they get back to the dude's place.

Just not by him :]

If he's a bit on the edge, he's bound to have offended a few other adventuring groups. So, another band have taken him prisoner (he's bound and gagged and tied to a chair, Reservoir Dogs style), and this mob are waiting for the PC's to turn up and take the loot - which they regard as theirs as part payment for a previous whacking.

Once the PC's spot their employee in a bind, they have to decide whether to rescue him or double-cross him by splitting the loot with the other gang. And if the new lot get away with some or all of the loot, the Face (when untied) can re-employ the troop to go kick heads (with a promise of more cash in return).

radferth

First Post
You could have him prepared to double cross at the handoff, and then, depending on their preparations against a double cross, perhaps not go through with it.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
But I now have to decide if I should go through with it or not. I'm very tempted to have him play it straight, take his share of the money, thank them for their fine work, and send them on their way. They'll walk out of there so paranoid that they won't have a good night's sleep for a month.

The DM should always go for the more amusing direction, so I vote for "no". At least, initially.

Then, when they are completely freaked out by this turn of events and discussing among themselves just what might happen because of this, listen very carefully. And take notes.

The party recently took a job from a guy who they know is untrustworthy, but they took it since the pay was so good. The job was a simple "go here and get the money" type of job. Now they are fully expecting him to double cross them and try to take it all, either by ambushing them on the way back to his place or by jumping them once they arrive.

Here's the thing...yeah, they are right. He was going to. This tells me that I've done a few too many double-crosses in the game. If they expect it every time, then it no longer is fun or interesting.

As a Shadowrunner, I can only say: Double-Crossing is good in moderation. If overdone, it becomes predictable and boring.

How often have your players so far anticipated a double-cross and made precautions against them?
If that never happened or worked out for them before, let this double-cross be "true" and have the double-crosser fall into their trap. This should give them the satisfaction of revenge and might even serve as a in-game warning to others to not try to double-cross them either.

So now, you can have scenarios without any traitors and double-crossers - but eventually, you can use that idea again, and it might pay off more then ever. (And you can also use the idea of "seems like a trap, but turns out not to be!" to instill surprise or paranoia in them...)

Cadfan

First Post
Have them double crossed by someone other than the guy who sent them on the job. Maybe he was on the up and up, but someone else involved is looking to stab them in the back.

How about, the guy who gave them the job knew that people were watching him, and knew he was likely to get mugged once he got the money. So he hired adventurers to go in his place. So there is someone who is going to attack them, but its not who they think.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nope, don't double-cross them. The paranoia that will engender is totally worth it.

Later, it'll turn out that the money was covered with some sort of disease or magical tracking aura. But they should get to glory in it for a while.

Bigwilly

First Post
They return with the money (and expecting a double-cross) only to find the guy dead and his place torn up. Then the city guard arrives...

Remove ads