What To Do With Odd Ability Scores

genshou

First Post
airwalkrr said:
That ratchets up the power level of the game though doesn't it?
Yep. It also puts more emphasis on ability scores than skill level (which some people like and others don't).

As to the idea of this thread, I think skills should get the boost on even numbers and everything else should get it on odd numbers, in the manner displayed below:

[Score] = [skill modifier]/[other modifier]
10 = +0/-1
11 = +0/+0
12 = +1/+0
13 = +1/+1

Make 'em work for those bonuses to Fortitude, spell save DCs, and attacks/damage/AC. Nobody's gonna want an odd score just for that bonus to skills, and it's just kind of wonky to give the modifier out at a lower value than before, but only on skills.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
genshou said:
As to the idea of this thread, I think skills should get the boost on even numbers and everything else should get it on odd numbers, in the manner displayed below:

Well, if the problem is that people in 3e only care about even scores because of the bonuses given, then changing that to odd scores just reverses the problem. Your system just basically notches all bonuses down by 1 point.

I think with the fact that odd scores are typically requirements for feats added with the benefit of skill modifiers being added for odd scores is probably good enough. Your method actually puts more emphasis on odd scores than mine puts on even scores because now you only need even scores for skill bonuses, whereas under my system you need odd scores both as prerequisites AND for skill bonuses.

Remove ads