• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What To Do With the Warlock?

DungeonMaester

First Post
Nifft said:
But that's the whole point of the Warlock. If you're going to get tired of him using a power, it's not right to have it in your setting. That's rather like getting tired of a Rogue who uses Sneak Attack in combat -- it's his one and only trick. Of course it's what he does. He likes to feel useful and cool. Cheers, -- N

But a Warlock can shatter alot more then a rogue can sneal attack. And with the slow invocation growth rate and little skills, its all they can do for about 4 sessions (Adverage time to level to 3rd) when they get one more trick they can do. Still, its far to repetitive.

DungeonMaester said:
On a single non magic object up to ten pounds, or many objects with a hardness of 0.

I shatter...His boot?

Also, to adress his other point: Warlocks have little in the ways of skills unlike Rogues, and a slow Invocation progression rate. So they will be doing the same things over and over again.

Exactly. At least the Wizard and Sorc can Maximize/Empower Fireball, or a host of other spells to clear baddies even though a limited amount of times. Its still alot more then what a Warlock could do even with Max/Emp SLA.

Na.

Instead, I offer three changes.

1) More Charasma based skills. Skill points are fine they way they are.

2) Change Elderic Blast to do a little bit less damage then a Sorc/Wizard's spells per level such as Polar Ray or Fireball.

3) Bonus invocations for having a high Charasma score. A Warlock can bonus Invocations up the the highest spell level they can cast. This functions like bonus spells per day in reverse.

---Rusty

Bump. Shameless bump.

---Rusty

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
DungeonMaester said:
But a Warlock can shatter alot more then a rogue can sneal attack. And with the slow invocation growth rate and little skills, its all they can do for about 4 sessions (Adverage time to level to 3rd) when they get one more trick they can do. Still, its far to repetitive.

I can picture that adventure now....

*Party enters deep dark cave of doom, everyone on full alert*
*Stalagtite shatters*

Fighter: Warlock, was that you?
Warlock: Yea, sorry.
Fighter: Lets just try being sneaky for once, OK?
Warlock: Right-O!

*Party explores room and finds it empty, enter corridor leading further into cave*
*Rock on ground shatters*

Fighter: Warlock, was that you?
Warlock: Yea, sorry. Its all I do.
Fighter: *sigh* Can you at least wait till combat?
Warlock: Ill try.

*Party explores corridor which leads to a Y junction, party stops to rest*
*Rock Cleric is sitting on shatters*

Cleric: Warlock....was that you?
Warlock: Um, yea.
Rogue: Warlock, if you do that one more time I will gut you myself.
Warlock: OK guys, no more, I promise.

*Party continues along the left fork*
*Fighters belt buckle shatters*

Fighter: Thats it, roll for initiative!

I don't exactly see what it is that your warlock is shattering his way through that isn't totally pissing off the other adventurers.

DS

javcs

First Post
IMC, warlocks get to add their charisma bonus to their eldritch blast. It's big early on, but it quickly drops off in power level as the warlock progresses, while keeping the eldritch blast more useful.

I like the bonus invocations idea, not entirely sure how it would work, but, it has the potential to reduce the one-trick pony-ness of warlocks.

Though, most warlocks worth their salt max UMD and lay on with magic items. Not that attack wands are particularly threatening when they become reasonably affordable. But, he should have wands, scrolls, etc., all over him . . . when such items are available.

DungeonMaester

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
A fighter can use his adamantine greatsword more often than a rogue can sneak attack too.

But a Fighter can do alot more then Donkey punch anything with his Sword...Sometimes...

javcs said:
IMC, warlocks get to add their charisma bonus to their eldritch blast. It's big early on, but it quickly drops off in power level as the warlock progresses, while keeping the eldritch blast more useful.

I like the bonus invocations idea, not entirely sure how it would work, but, it has the potential to reduce the one-trick pony-ness of warlocks.

Though, most warlocks worth their salt max UMD and lay on with magic items. Not that attack wands are particularly threatening when they become reasonably affordable. But, he should have wands, scrolls, etc., all over him . . . when such items are available.

1) True, but EB is mostly only useful in battle, much like a Fighter's sword
2) Like this:

A Sorc at first level with a 18 Charasma gains one extra first level spells through a Fourth Level spell. he only gets his extra first level slot becuase that is as high as he cast.

A Warlock with the same score can get bonus Invocs up to 4th level. The Highest he can cast is second level, so he can choose one Extra that is First level, and One that is Second level.

Hope that helps.

3) True, but it becomes a Sort of Crutch for a Warlock.

---Rusty

frankthedm

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Suppose all warlocks have an innate sense that calling on their powers draws power from dark forces and by doing this too frequently, they are likely to attract the attention of a powerful outsider (who is likely displeased at his essence being siphoned). Say that everytime a warlock uses a specific invocation more times per day than his Charisma modifier that there is a small chance (maybe 5%) that a powerful fiend is angered. This doesn't keep the warlock from doing his invocations, but it does encourage him to only use them when they are appropriate and not shatter every single door in his way.
I say rather than percent per use, just track the amount and location of warlock energy used. Nothing a PC will notice, though a mile long tunnel dug out using an eldrich blast over and over might be daemon infested months later.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads