what to give a Non Psionic Soulknife?

Nyeshet

First Post
I was just listing all pre-epic weapon enhancements I knew that did not involve psionics. The original poster stated they wanted a non-psionic version of the class, and adding in psionic weapon enhancements would seem to run counter to that unless the player followed a psionic deity.

As I said, I fully expect any DM that uses this class to trim the list down significantly. In the end the nature of the deity followed determines the nature of the weapon enhancements allowed.

As for Bane, any time a character has such a weapon it is due to finding a weapon with that property or buying one, and in the latter instance they generally do not do so unless they expect to mostly encounter a single type of creature more often than not. Recall also that it takes eight hours to change the properties of the weapon - an all day affair. That type of time is only likely to be granted by the rest of the party if doing so will be an advantage for the group - such as about to enter a tomb where undead are common or a ruin where constructs are expected. As such I do not see it as a major issue, especially as there are spells that can make any weapon temporarily bane towards a certain type of creature.

As for the others: Speed cannot be gained until level 14 - assuming no other enhancements are upon it. Brilliant is not available until level 18 - again assuming no other enhancements are upon the soul weapon. And Vorpal, as mentioned in the description, is not available until level 22 - the epic continuation. If you wish to remove all three of these, I see no issue with it. In the end the DM always decides. Of course, if they go into epic levels and the specials are appropriate for the diety followed, then I would expect the specials to sooner or later become available.

Metallic Sheen I created as a necessity. The problem is that without such a special the soulblade is virtually worthless against fae, demons, and anything else with DR / cold iron. Cold iron is supposed to be the lawful counterpart of the more 'chaotic' silver - at least as far as DR seems to be concerned. It does not so much take on the properties of the metal - it just ignores DR based solely upon the materal. If a creature had DR 5 / Ash, then in theory "Metallic" Sheen could be used to bypass the Ash (after the time was taken to grant the property to the soul weapon). But by the official rules the only materials used are metals: lawful seeming Cold Iron, chaotic seeming Silver, and the near-epic Adamantium. I'm rather surprised they haven't chosen metals to represent Good and Evil, actually.

I will admit that Metallic Sheen is a poor name for the special. It should have another name, representing the fact that it exists solely to bypass a lesser material based DR.

[Edit]Okay, I went back, rewrote the description, and renamed the ability: Adaptive Strike. I also added in the level at which each of the levels of weapon enhancement become available so that there is no confusion on the matter.[/Edit]

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Personally, I'd say that material based DR is NOT a problem. That's why your deity invented Power Attack, and the glorious combo of Holy + Evil Outsider Bane. :)

I'd drop that, but keep Bane. You want to hurt Golems? Fine, take Construct Bane.

Also, I'd make the Soulblade penetrate alignment-based DR. Any alignment. Neutral dudes should not be nerfed at level 13.

Cheers, -- N

Staffan

Legend
Nyeshet said:
Metallic Sheen I created as a necessity.
It's not a necessity. Power attack helps against DR, and if you're really concerned you can take the feat from Draconomicon that lets you ignore 5 points of DR/hardness with any weapon you have Focus in. Other than that, I would consider "trouble with material DR" to be one of the disadvantages of the class, just like monks have problem with DR that isn't /lawful or /adamantine.

That said, I realize that material-based DR, or DR of any sort really, is more of a problem for your variant class than it is for the standard soulknife, because the soulknife has quite a few methods for increasing damage that your version doesn't: Psychic Strike, Psionic Weapon (psionic feat), and Deep Impact (psionic feat)+ Power Attack. At 4th level, the soulknife in my campaign often starts a fight with a 3d6+1d8+5 attack (average 20 points), which can take out quite a few opponents if it hits (1d6 base +2d6 psionic weapon +1d8 psychic strike +4 Str +1 enhancement bonus).

Remove ads