D&D General What tone do you prefer for D&D?

What Tone Do You Prefer For D&D

• Really Grimdark

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Gritty Realism

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Heroic Adventure

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • Paragons of Virtue

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Silly and/or Cutesy

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.2%

Reynard

Legend
I've come to accept - and even at times embrace - the fact that rare indeed is the PC who isn't either largely or solely motivated by greed. If nothing else, it makes baiting adventure hooks so trivially easy... :)

That said, I'd only shake down the quest-giver once we'd got back from the quest, for two reasons: one, we'll be better at what we do by then and thus more likely to succeed; and two, pulling the shake-down before we leave wipes out any potential reward we might have otherwise got.

Greed says do the quest, take the reward, and then shake him down. :)
The worst part is there isn't really anything for them to do with thousands of gold pieces. 5E needs training costs and upkeep rules! AT the very least, let them gain XP by spending cash carousing, or something.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The worst part is there isn't really anything for them to do with thousands of gold pieces. 5E needs training costs and upkeep rules! AT the very least, let them gain XP by spending cash carousing, or something.
And-or it needs purchaseable or at least commissionable magic items, and-or stronghold/temple/etc. construction rules or guidelines, and-or some key spells (death revival spells, xxx Restoration spells) to gain a requirement of some mighty sacrifices in payment... etc.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I mean, you can reward XP for anything. There is nothing stopping you from rewarding it for downtime activities. They're spending resources, accepting opportunity costs, and taking the risk of complications.

Meanwhile, there are pretty notable training costs in the downtime rules.

In my group, we often tend to forget to reward much money, so we have no trouble finding things to spend it on, but in a "normal" game, there are ships, hirelings (who can be set to do downtime stuff for you while you're adventuring), crafting of consumable resources (poisons are pretty potent, and pretty fairly costed compared to learning ritual spells, I've found. Two hours to learn to make it per 50g of listed cost, and you have to spend the full cost as part of learning it.) I just wish alchemical items had as many examples and as solid a pricing scheme.

One thing I have seen help a lot is to simply work out a more transparent scheme for crafting magic items, put a markup for commisions, and run a game where all the good magic items weren't crafted thousands of years ago, but are being invented now. Doesn't work for everyone, though.

Reynard

Legend
And-or it needs purchaseable or at least commissionable magic items, and-or stronghold/temple/etc. construction rules or guidelines, and-or some key spells (death revival spells, xxx Restoration spells) to gain a requirement of some mighty sacrifices in payment... etc.
I mean, you can reward XP for anything. There is nothing stopping you from rewarding it for downtime activities. They're spending resources, accepting opportunity costs, and taking the risk of complications.

Meanwhile, there are pretty notable training costs in the downtime rules.

In my group, we often tend to forget to reward much money, so we have no trouble finding things to spend it on, but in a "normal" game, there are ships, hirelings (who can be set to do downtime stuff for you while you're adventuring), crafting of consumable resources (poisons are pretty potent, and pretty fairly costed compared to learning ritual spells, I've found. Two hours to learn to make it per 50g of listed cost, and you have to spend the full cost as part of learning it.) I just wish alchemical items had as many examples and as solid a pricing scheme.

One thing I have seen help a lot is to simply work out a more transparent scheme for crafting magic items, put a markup for commisions, and run a game where all the good magic items weren't crafted thousands of years ago, but are being invented now. Doesn't work for everyone, though.
I don't like the primary expenditure being gear. You might as well give magic items instead of gold. I would much porefer a robust set of guideline on non-material expenditures, both "punitive" (training costs and upkeep) and "rewarding" (investment, stronghold construction and upkeep).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't like the primary expenditure being gear. You might as well give magic items instead of gold. I would much porefer a robust set of guideline on non-material expenditures, both "punitive" (training costs and upkeep) and "rewarding" (investment, stronghold construction and upkeep).
I mean, I said a lot more than just gear, but okay.

Reynard

Legend
Can morally ambiguous dark pulp fantasy be one of the options?
Yes.

If I could go back and change the poll, I would call "Gritty Realism" something else. I did not mean to tie it to any particular view of magic level. Rather, I meant the morality of, say,Game of Thrones or Lies of Lock Lamora -- one step up from the grimdark of Abercrombie and the Black Company. Calling it Gritty Realism implied too much about the world where what I was really trying to ask about was tone.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yes.

If I could go back and change the poll, I would call "Gritty Realism" something else. I did not mean to tie it to any particular view of magic level. Rather, I meant the morality of, say,Game of Thrones or Lies of Lock Lamora -- one step up from the grimdark of Abercrombie and the Black Company. Calling it Gritty Realism implied too much about the world where what I was really trying to ask about was tone.
Perfect, that would be my answer then. I think a lot of people get hung up because many games have a 'gritty realism' setting for the mechanics. Scott Lynch is my sweet spot for tone in fantasy settings, although I do love Abercrombie.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The one thing I don't ever want to see again is the PCs going into business and commerce.

This happened to me once, where a rich and successful party decided to go into business. They left a few PCs behind to run it full-time (which worked out as a great place to park some characters of players who left the game around then) while the main group kept adventuring, which was fine for a while.

Problem was, before long every time they got back to town they wanted fairly in-depth updates on how their business - which later became multiple and many businesses - were doing, and what the PC investors had coming to them as dividends, and what businesses needed help, and where they could expand next.....

Never again. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To me 'gritty realism' also implies a set of expectations around play style: detailed resource management, careful exploration, potential death around every corner - old-school stuff.

Game of Thrones is gritty realism. Locke Lamora (which is excellent, by the way) isn't so much; to me it trends more toward heroic adventure, but more for the adventure part than the heroic. Lord of the Rings has elements of both: Frodo-Sam-Gollum is gritty realism at least in style, much of the rest is heroic fantasy.

I've been binge-watching Black Sails this week, another fine example of gritty realism except with cannons instead of magic; of which there's none at all.

Remove ads