D&D General What tone do you prefer for D&D?

What Tone Do You Prefer For D&D

• Really Grimdark

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Gritty Realism

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Heroic Adventure

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • Paragons of Virtue

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Silly and/or Cutesy

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.2%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The one thing I don't ever want to see again is the PCs going into business and commerce.

This happened to me once, where a rich and successful party decided to go into business. They left a few PCs behind to run it full-time (which worked out as a great place to park some characters of players who left the game around then) while the main group kept adventuring, which was fine for a while.

Problem was, before long every time they got back to town they wanted fairly in-depth updates on how their business - which later became multiple and many businesses - were doing, and what the PC investors had coming to them as dividends, and what businesses needed help, and where they could expand next.....

Never again. :)
That sounds awesome

See, that I'd be more okay with. The pre-shakedown to me feels like the player is just trying to hold the adventure hostage for more of a reward. These days I'm tempted to just tell them "okay, the questgiver says "nevermind, I shall seek more noble aid""

That said, I'd only shake down the quest-giver once we'd got back from the quest, for two reasons: one, we'll be better at what we do by then and thus more likely to succeed; and two, pulling the shake-down before we leave wipes out any potential reward we might have otherwise got.

Greed says do the quest, take the reward, and then shake him down. :)

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Problem was, before long every time they got back to town they wanted fairly in-depth updates on how their business - which later became multiple and many businesses - were doing, and what the PC investors had coming to them as dividends, and what businesses needed help, and where they could expand next.....
And now we know what happens when "gritty realism" meets Papers & Paychecks.

I'm not really sure how to describe my games. My world is bright, full of color, but ironic to the core. The majority of humanity isn't worth saving. Almost everyone in my world (except maybe the PCs) is a selfish dick. Every religion is fake and only creates societal problems. Someone can try to be a hero. Some even succeed, but that doesn't change their little piece of the world.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I had to go back and change my vote from Heroic to Other: Beer and Pretzel. I like Heroic games. I dislike serious heroic games if that makes sense.

I like the tone of game to be more Firefly-ish: We're Big Damn Heroes, but we ain't gonna take it seriously. We're gonna have FUN being BDH.

Remove ads