D&D 3E/3.5 What Types of Damage Reduction Are There in 3.5?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, I own the 3.5 books, all of them, but I've only just started reading them. I have gotten a question about a PrC I created under the 3.0 rules that involves DR. Since DR changed so much, I have to do a new, 3.5 version of the class.

What I want to know is what kinds of damage reduction have I missed?

I have found DR for magic, epic, alighnment (good/evil/law/chaos), cold iron, silver, and adamantine.

My final two questions are: Does a normal metal sword count as cold iron for the purposes of DR? And have I missed any other types of DR in my skimming of the MM 3.5?

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Ray Silver said:
What I want to know is what kinds of damage reduction have I missed?

I have found DR for magic, epic, alighnment (good/evil/law/chaos), cold iron, silver, and adamantine.

My final two questions are: Does a normal metal sword count as cold iron for the purposes of DR? And have I missed any other types of DR in my skimming of the MM 3.5?
Looks like you've covered all the DR types that I can see. Except for the type that can't be bypassed (e.g. 10/-).

A normal metal sword is not counted as cold iron, as it must be constructed specifically from this matieral. Check out the back of the DMG 3.5 for costs of constructing weapons from special materials.

Planesdragon

First Post
Ray Silver said:
If you read the description of the Damage Reuction ability in the back of the DMG (page 291-292), it mentions all of the DRs seen in the MM. The system can support others, but the desginers advise against it as a general rule. (A very interesting epic campaign would be a swarm of creatures with Univesral Energy Resistance 30, SR=HD+15, and DR 15/"sacred fire"--horrible demons from the depths of the abyss that can only be fought with weapons kept hidden by angels.)

Ray Silver said:
Does a normal metal sword count as cold iron for the purposes of DR?
Nope. "cold iron"--which probably takes the prize for the worst corrpution of a mythological material--is a special metal, described in the DMG.

It replaces (badly) "cold-wrought iron", which is iron that has been smelted and then hammered into shape without the use of a fire.

(Q&D rules for cold-wrought iron: costs is 1,000 gp for a medium weapon (500 for small, 2000 for large), must be made from metal, has a hardness of 5 (instead of 10) and damages itself when struck on a natural 1.)

isoChron

First Post
I think you forgot DR/slashing and DR /bludgeoning like skeletons and zombies have. I'm not sure if there is a DR/piercing.

BYE

ElMorte

Explorer
Aaah good, there is already a thread like this.

My question is:

After reading through the "update files" for the MM2 i noticed that they haven't updated the DR ratings.

So i want to know what kind of DR you would give the Death Knight now.

First i thought the same as the Lich (15/bludgeoning and magic), but (15/good and magic) sounds reasonable too.

Which one would you choose?

Staffan

Legend
isoChron said:
I think you forgot DR/slashing and DR /bludgeoning like skeletons and zombies have. I'm not sure if there is a DR/piercing.
There isn't in the MM (or at least not in the SRD and I can't imagine any of the monsters removed being particularly vulnerable to piercing weapons), but it's certainly a possibility. Like a baloon monster or something :)

Rath the Brown

First Post
Staffan said:
There isn't in the MM (or at least not in the SRD and I can't imagine any of the monsters removed being particularly vulnerable to piercing weapons), but it's certainly a possibility. Like a baloon monster or something :)

Actually, there is. The Rakshasa's DR has been changed to 15/good and piercing.

Norfleet

First Post
Planesdragon said:
It replaces (badly) "cold-wrought iron", which is iron that has been smelted and then hammered into shape without the use of a fire.

(Q&D rules for cold-wrought iron: costs is 1,000 gp for a medium weapon (500 for small, 2000 for large), must be made from metal, has a hardness of 5 (instead of 10) and damages itself when struck on a natural 1.)
That's a lot of money for what amounts to a substandard, badly made weapon. Hell, I have cold iron frying pans and crowbars. I could just beat him to death with a pan and a crowbar.

Remove ads