• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What was Paizo thinking? 3.75 the 4E clone?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
ShinHakkaider said:
Paizo is the ONE company who is still going t support the OGL,
Mongoose has 2 OGL games: RuneQuest and Traveller. They're also releasing an OGL version of their minis game Battlefield Evolution. Several other smaller systems have gone OGL a while ago. The OGL is in no danger of dying off anytime soon.

ShinHakkaider said:
Necromancer will be supporting 4E, Goodman Games will be supporting 4E, I think Green Ronin will be supporting 4E and I'm guessing that Paizo will be supporting 4E at some point in the future.

I can't agree with thi statement. Not even remotely. Necromancer and Goodman have both said they will support 4E, but they need a license to do so. So far, none has been produced. And they are smart companies. Sooner or later they will have to start generating product for something that will keep them in the lime light. And with no license for 4E, no gentlemen's agreement, and nothing on the horizon, they will eventually go elsewhere. How long can they go without income? Frankly, Paizo is looking like a much better option. Necro/Gooman have regular writers that are well versed in the rules, and it wouldn't take much for them to be major players in the field.

Yes, the WotC guys feel bad that they don't already have the license/rules out. Yes, the WotC staff members really believe the 3rd party companies make a serious difference to their bottom line (the 3rd party companies vouch for them, that's good enough for me), but one thing is undeniable: something is going on at Wizards. My last job, a co-worker was worried about getting fired because he said the main production line would have been operational a week earlier then it actually was. The license is now SEVEN MONTHS LATE. There is no denying that that is going to adversely affect sales early on when no 3rd party companies have product until months after its release.

Meanwhile, 17 months before the release of the final product, every 3rd party company has a copy of Paizo's alpha rules and the copyright license (the trademark license is still under development). Seventeen months, that's more then double the amount of time that Wizards has been late with their license.

GentleGiant

Explorer
dmccoy1693 said:
I can't agree with thi statement. Not even remotely. Necromancer and Goodman have both said they will support 4E, but they need a license to do so. So far, none has been produced. And they are smart companies. Sooner or later they will have to start generating product for something that will keep them in the lime light. And with no license for 4E, no gentlemen's agreement, and nothing on the horizon, they will eventually go elsewhere. How long can they go without income? Frankly, Paizo is looking like a much better option. Necro/Gooman have regular writers that are well versed in the rules, and it wouldn't take much for them to be major players in the field.
If I'm not completely mistaken, Necromancer Games isn't a full time business, i.e. the people there have day-time jobs too that pay the bills (although this might just be Clark, don't know about Scott and anyone else over there).
No idea about Goodman Games, though.
So Necromancer might be able to wait the GSL problems out relatively unscathed.

The Little Raven

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Seventeen months, that's more then double the amount of time that Wizards has been late with their license.

It's like 5 times the amount of time, since Wizards promised the GSL in January and it's been 2-3 months since that time.

Dark Mistress

First Post
GentleGiant said:
If I'm not completely mistaken, Necromancer Games isn't a full time business, i.e. the people there have day-time jobs too that pay the bills (although this might just be Clark, don't know about Scott and anyone else over there).
No idea about Goodman Games, though.
So Necromancer might be able to wait the GSL problems out relatively unscathed.

I am fairly sure your right. I am not 100% positive on the whole staff. i do post there a lot and I can't recall anyone saying thats what they did full time and I do remember more than a few mentioning other jobs.

Of course I am not sure how many of the 3rd party publishers have full time employees.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Mourn said:
It's like 5 times the amount of time, since Wizards promised the GSL in January and it's been 2-3 months since that time.

They first said that the license/rules would be coming "soon" back in September.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
GentleGiant said:
If I'm not completely mistaken, Necromancer Games isn't a full time business,

I have a vague (emphasis on vague) memory of Orcus saying that he himself does not work on Necro full time but he has employees that do work on Necro full time and that they can't wait indefinitely.

(disclaimer: this is a vague memory, I fully admit I may be wrong.)

dmccoy1693 said:
They first said that the license/rules would be coming "soon" back in September.
But it doesn't mean it would come in September or October.

The expression "soon" was still notably wrong. Unless they used a different time scale as implied by the time till 4E arrives (like "soon" in "soon, we will begin development on 5e"; or "soon, we will run out of Oil Fields"; "soon, the Sun will use up its Hydrogen")
Well, no plan survives enemy contact...

elnopintan

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But it doesn't mean it would come in September or October.

The expression "soon" was still notably wrong. Unless they used a different time scale as implied by the time till 4E arrives .

For WOTC "soon" means till recharge 5,6. So, when they roll 5 or 6 they'll release the GSL.

One consideration was apparently whether they would be able to "tell the stories they wanted to be able to tell" in fourth edition.

The Pathfinder setting seems to me a lot like the "points of light" setting of 4th edition, but things like dragonborn, tiefling empires and such might have been hard to include retrospectively. Presumably they didn't want to have to put Golarion through its own version of the spellplague when the "old setting book isn't even out until August.

And there's presumably* nothing stopping Paizo starting a new line of 4th edition adventures set in a new "4th edition friendly" setting once the GSL is out.

* assuming the GSL doesn't have some unlikely clause preventing use of the OGL

Remove ads