• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the first monster you killed in D&D?

What was the first monster you killed in D&D

• Drow

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Grimlock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orc

Votes: 63 17.8%
  • Ogre

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Kobold

Votes: 52 14.7%
  • Goblin

Votes: 96 27.1%
  • Hobgoblin

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Player race (standard PHB) clarify which one

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • Gnoll

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Giant

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Dragon (holy!!)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Bugbear

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • other...please tell

Votes: 92 26.0%

DragonSword

First Post
Thought I'd add something here. My first kill ever in D&D was actually either a kobold or goblin, but in a campaign I'm currently playing in - which is gladiator themed - something pretty fun happened. This game actually has a few new players in, and so if they were here, they'd be able to say their first kill was...

...a troll.

Yep, a (CR 5) troll. We were fighting against two human thieves, and the troll had joined them. The DM said to me afterwards that he'd planned to have one of the humans accidently hit the troll, and have the troll then change sides, but somehow, we managed to get rid of the troll before anyone else could react. Huh, we must of rolled, like, twenty crit hits in that combat... ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I played my first character some seven YEARS after learning to play D&D - I DM'ed the first five years. :)

My first PC was an Elf Fighter/Magic-user/Thief, and he killed either a human or a hobgoblin. I think it was a hobgoblin from module A2, but I could be mistaken. And I had to use a magic missile, because (A) I was dumb at first, and (2) I couldn't hit with my Broadsword to sabe my life! I don't think I rolled anything over a 9!

Then again, I could have been using one of those icosahedral dice numbered 0-9 and not even knew it, because I was the most gullible goof to practical jokes back then, too... :)

KevinS

First Post
Giant Rat. A homebrew Basic D&D in '78. There were lot's & they killed 2 party members so we left the dungeon much to the DM' chagrin

Thanee

First Post
First PC was a magic-user, but I do not recall what monster was killed first. Could've been the infamous carrion crawler (Aaskriecher - we started with the german version of the boxed set ;)).

Bye
Thanee

mmadsen

First Post
My fighting-man killed a goblin, then opened the next door, and found a carnivorous ape. The ape ate 'im. So we ran the dungeon again. I killed the goblin; the ape killed me. Again. I killed the goblin; the ape killed me. Again...

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
A beholder.

I was standing in for a friends PC ina campaign that was dying off. I think we had gunpowder and that's how we blew him up. This was using the Rules Cyclopedia.

Remove ads