• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What was the 'new format'?

Weiley31

Legend
Aside from Warlords of Krynn/Shadows of The Dragon Queen, the whole "Slipcase" thing with three books and all that is pretty much the "modern" version of the old Dungeons and Dragons box sets. But for 5E. Whether or not Slipcase and three books and stuff "counts" as a box set technically or not seems/is one of those 'Tomatoe/To-Ma-Toe" type semantics deal it seems.

Weiley31

Legend
I'm also guessing that this is a bit of a test product, that we might see Planescape and/or Dark Sun published like this. The downside is that it less of a general setting, and more focused - so we might see a Tyr Dark Sun set, or Sigil for Planescape - but not the wider settings.
I hope so. They could use the Boxed Set format for the old school style settings that people want, like Dark Sun and Planescape.

Weiley31

Legend
I actually wonder now: Will they do the setting, we're returning to in 2024............................IN THE BOX SET FORMAT?

Think about it: instead of three separate books, you get a Boxed Set type deal that includes the Players Handbook(5.5) the updated/new Monster Manual, and the revamped/updated Dungeon's Master Guide, if it isn't a three book box set for Faerune/Forgotten Realms.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Splitting it up into 3 separate books (Monsters no longer built in with PC material a la Volo's/Mordenkainen's/Mordenkainen Presents), Adventure Path not including its monsters but letting those live in a separate manual, and combining PC and DM material together. Oh, and releasing elements of the set early via the accounts system (Monstrous Compendium Vol. 1 and the upcoming July Prequel adventure).

As for Dragonlance, it's the board game integration.

Weiley31

Legend
Let's not forget with the new format, that also includes the Monster Compendium. Which, as they said, will get updated "regularly." So, its "DLC" content that allows a source of monsters, not in the bestiary book(I think) to be added to a digital source that is updated with add-on monster updates. At least, that's how it sounds so far to me.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think breaking the setting book up into pieces that are player relevant, and not, is rather more the format change - several 64 page books rather than one 192 page book.
That could be a nice way to avoid having stuff like optional rules/various mechanics/lore/etc getting cut for space in the longer books. Sure 64x3=192, but if there was somewhere between 192&256 pages of good solid content it would be easier to shuffle a few things between the volumes & make it a 4 book set with a few extra/bigger images & bit of filler if needed than it would be to make a single 256 page book even if one of the 4 was only a short softcover like the lmop book or something.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
What is the kit and what is the manual (manual, kit, & bundle options)?
Why is Amazon listing 2 different dates (8/16 & 7/19)?

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 1.19.41 PM.png

I hadn't seen the alt covers:
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 1.22.54 PM.png

Remove ads