• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was your favorite 1e/2e magic item?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I'll list three for different reasons.

+1 sword. It ment you'd survived long enough to give your character a background!

Wand of Wonder, for the obvious reasons.

Bag of Holding. The most useful (non combat) item!

HelloChristian

First Post
Rod of Wonder.

I didn't even look at the item description. I just knew that, when I pointed at anything, something happened. And I freakin' loved it :)

Oh man, that was the best. I especially loved it when the DM would add his own twisted spin to the results. Good times, good times.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One more vote for the Wand of Wonder...or Rod of Wonder (3e)...or Ring of Wonder (homebrew)...see any theme here? :)

Another favourite was and remains the Deck of Many Things, or any of several variants both official and homebrew.

And, by rough count, I see about 10 votes for the Wand of Wonder and none yet for the Holy Avenger. Guess chaos wins, huh? :)

Lanefan

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Favourite 1e magic item for wizards - Rod of absorbtion (sometimes referred to as rod of amazing excellence :)). Took over from Staff of the Magi once I realised just how completely brilliant it was.

Honourable mention - Book of Infinite Spells.

Favourite 1e magic item for martial characters - Rod of lordly might.

Honourable mention - Boots of striding and springing (or was it travelling and leaping?)

Cheers

Angrydad

First Post
One more vote for the Wand of Wonder...or Rod of Wonder (3e)...or Ring of Wonder (homebrew)...see any theme here? :)

Another favourite was and remains the Deck of Many Things, or any of several variants both official and homebrew.

And, by rough count, I see about 10 votes for the Wand of Wonder and none yet for the Holy Avenger. Guess chaos wins, huh? :)

Lanefan

I second the vote for chaos. Rod/wand of Wonder and Deck of Many Things are my two favorite items ever. I even own a physical set of Deck of Many Things cards with neato artwork on them. I recently had an epic game where I cursed them with a daily draw from the deck. They broke the curse in about 5 days, but most of the party had previously drawn from the deck (I know there's a "once in a lifetime" limit. DM discretion+epic curse=loads of fun regardless). One player got nothing good out of 9 draws total. His Int got drained twice, he was imprisoned by the campaign's BBEG, he lost all of his nonmagical items and treasure (luckily he'd just invested most of that into a magic airship), and he finally got 4 wishes, which he used to have the BBEG teleported to their location and be rendered helpless. Yeah. Chaos for the win.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I presume you did look at his username, yes?

Yes. It was a double attack on both names. Those not in the know can look it up, and it ask KK in a manner that is like "Is something wrong with you man?!?"

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words, and a single word is worth nothing for a good added pun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads