What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

But...but the only plausible way to have a black samurai character in a fantasy world full of magic, goblins and dragons... is slavery. :rolleyes:
Yeah I was very confused by the "You can't just have Africans in Fantasy Japan, it's too far away!". It's like, the dude literally typed out Fantasy Japan, the whole word Fantasy, and somehow didn't see the issue here? Fantasy Africa could presumably be nearer, or have better ships, favourable winds, a Stargate, or whatever you want! If it was like "Historical Japan", then the argument would make some vague sense, but Fantasy Japan, what?!?! Brain broke.

Thourne

Hero
I am not trying to single anyone out, so apologies if it feels that way in advance.

Perhaps, if everyone in the thread read other peoples posts with appropriate charity and sought out more information when things were murky instead of jumping to the least favorable interpretation the discussion could be more fruitful?

Thourne

Hero
Yeah I was very confused by the "You can't just have Africans in Fantasy Japan, it's too far away!". It's like, the dude literally typed out Fantasy Japan, the whole word Fantasy, and somehow didn't see the issue here? Fantasy Africa could presumably be nearer, or have better ships, or whatever you want! If it was like "Historical Japan", then the argument would make some vague sense, but Fantasy Japan, what?!?! Brain broke.
Yah, odd, but if they were simply using geography as in the real world I can see the assumption.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I am not trying to single anyone out, so apologies if it feels that way in advance.

Perhaps, if everyone in the thread read other peoples posts with appropriate charity and sought out more information when things were murky instead of jumping to the least favorable interpretation the discussion could be more fruitful?
Yeah, I think a lot of us are guilty of that, myself included.

Thourne

Hero
Not going to play semantic games, it can be used either way. If he was speaking to Dark Sun why not just say that?
You do realize when you interpret a meaning while acknowledging you arent certain of the intent you are in fact playing semantics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads